[21]

[21]

- EDEN -

-

WHEN ATLAS HAD told me he would be different, I didn't expect a big one. As usual, my assumption was wrong.

Today, we had all decided that we wanted to tour the part of Spain we were in. Dawson had run up at least an hour ago to tell Atlas that we were leaving in an hour. He had said he'd be down in a little bit and the rest of us dispersed to get changed and ready to go.

At around 12 o'clock, everyone was ready to go, but Atlas was nowhere to be seen. I glanced at Jude who had a nervous expression on his face and I frowned, walking over to him.

"He's not coming down is he?" I whispered.

He shook his head, "I talked to him last night, but I don't think he's getting better."

I nodded absentmindedly, "I'll check on him,"

As I walked away from him, Jude grabbed my hand, pulling me back, "I don't think you should. He's different. He'll—"

"Jude, it's okay. I'll be careful." I said and slipped my hand from his, making my way upstairs. As I climbed the steps, I cursed the stupid shirt I had decided to put on. It was a cropped blouse that looked cute, but the elastic around my waist kept riding up. It was long sleeved and made of satin, with a nice jade green color. With a huff, I yanked it down, hoping it would stay that way.

As I neared Atlas's room that was adjacent to mine, I stopped as I heard music booming from inside the room. I faltered a second before I raised my fist to the door, knocking loudly. Shuffling was heard from the other side of the door before Atlas spoke up, "What?!"

I flinched at his harsh tone before I swung the door open. I held my breath at the scene in front of me. Some song I wasn't familiar with was playing in the background, it was definitely a Kendrick Lamar song. The desk that used to occupy the books he packed with him was now strewn all over the floor. His bed was a mess of covers and clothes and the room was humid like he left a hot shower going with the bathroom door open.

I let out a small gasp as I noticed Atlas sitting outside on the balcony. He had a cigarette between his lips and was dropping his head backward onto the wall, banging it repeatedly with each hit. I shut the door behind me and made my way over to him.

"Atlas?" I asked as I got closer. He looked up at me for a split second before he sneered and looked away. I frowned a little and wondered if now would be a good time to run out of the room.

I walked closer and sat down on my knees in front of him. His hair was disheveled mess of dark hair, his pink lips were dry from the pile of cigarettes he'd smoked. His eye bags were deeper than they were last night, dark and purple. He was shirtless and a sheen of sweat coated his body as sweat also dripped from his forehead.

"What's going on?" I asked, reaching out for the boy I had talked to yesterday, but with my luck, he wasn't there. This was a different Atlas I was talking to.

"What's it matter to you, Eden?" He spat, his venomous eyes now focusing on me. I flinched slightly at the look he was giving me and tried not get hurt at his tone.

"Just leave me the fuck alone," He breathed, taking in another drag from his cigarette before dropping it on the ashtray next to him.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I asked, the anger and frustration with him finally building up inside me. "Tell me what the hell is going on with you."