Chapter 46

a few weeks later, Kamari was singing at a music festival. Other than the band behind her, she was the only one on the stage. No back up dancers or singers. Just Kamari sitting on stool.

"Remember those walls I built
Well, baby, they're tumbling down
And they didn't even put up a fight
They didn't even make a sound", Kamari sang.

SONG: HALO - BEYONCÉ

"I found a way to let you win
But I never really had a doubt
Standing in the light of your halo
I got my angel now", Kamari sang.

After Kamari performed two of her songs. She got off stage for the next person.

"You did good baby", Quinton said.

"Thank you", Kamari replied with a smile.

Kamari looked at her phone to check and see if she missed anything while preforming. As she did, Faith began calling her.

Quinton saw it and took the phone from Kamari.

"I'll answer it", Quinton said.

"No, Q. I got it", Kamari said as she reach for her phone.

Quinton answered the phone.

"Hello?", he said.

"Umm, where's Mari?", Faith asked.

"Don't worry about where she at. Don't call her phone anymore she don't fuck with you", he said.

"Q, stop", Kamari said.

"She doesn't need that negativity. Bye", Quinton said before he hung up.

"Why did you do that?", Kamari asked.

"Why you still talking to her?", Quinton asked. "I thought we had an agreement"

"No. We didn't have an agreement. You demanded it and I didn't want it", Kamari said.

"Why you tryna make me seem like the bad guy? At the end of the day you said okay. You said you'd stop talking to her and her sister", Quinton said.

"Yea so we could end the conversation", Kamari said.

"So you lying to me now?", Quinton asked.

"Quinton look. Faith and Hope don't mean any harm. They just want what's best for me", Kamari said. "They aren't negative. They just look at things from what I've told them"

"...what you told them? Kamari? Why you talking about our relationship with other people?", Quinton asked.

"Q, I don't feel like arguing right now. I don't. I just got done singing and I need some water and to get out of this sun", she said.

Quinton nods.

"Iight, I'll get the water. You get in the car", Quinton said.

Kamari just looked at him.

"Go ahead", he said as he tossed her the car and walked away.

Kamari rolled her eyes and walked to his car and got in. She sat in the passenger seat and reached for the brake to start the car. She turned the AC up and sat back so feel the air fanning her face.

Once Quinton got in the car, he shut the door. He grabbed her shirt and pulled her close to him.

"If I tell you to do something just do it. Don't argue with me. Just do the shit. Alright?", Quinton asked.

"Let me go", Kamari said.

"Do you understand what I just told you? If so, you need to respond to that. Not change the fucking subject", Quinton said.