{1}

I just returned from my assignment, and returned to the station where the Chief of police; Graham Smith had debriefed me and told me Kyle was dead. Dead. Shocked, I had asked – demanded a clarification on the subject, Kyle was one of the best cops in the whole force. Graham looked at me sadly, said that since I was too involved, he wasn't at liberty to say anymore on the subject than he had already done. As if that wasn't enough, he told me they had already buried him and his will was read. I was named as Kyle's heir and next of kin. Meaning anything he might own was mine now, including any debts he had. As expected, I was confused. Why was I his heir? Weren't there any family members that had a say in this? Apparently there weren't any family members interested in his legacy. They asked me if I understood what was said and when I nodded a man in his mid-forties entered the room dressed in a badly fitted pinstriped suit.

A lawyer. What is he doing here? 

That question must have been all over my face since Graham explained "Monroe, meet Mr Brechtenstein, Kyle's lawyer. He's here because Kyle named you his next of kin and heir." I frowned; I found it a little odd that I was heir and next of kin. “What about his family? I know his parents are still alive and well, and what about his ex-wife?” The lawyer nodded his head, “We have contacted them, but they made it clear that they want nothing more to do with Mister Daniels or whatever legacy he would leave behind.”

I tensed when he said that last piece; he sounded unsure and was a little nervous. “And too right they are.” I look up at the Chief when he spoke up; he came over and squeezes my shoulder. “The only legacy Kyle left behind is a five million dollar debt.” The Chiefs eyes turned a little softer as my mouth dropped. “An f-five mil debt?” I couldn’t help that my voice went up a few notches.

How come I didn’t know about this?

“Don’t worry about it; apparently Kyle had a bigger debt originally somewhere in the thirty millions. We don’t know how he had managed that or how he managed to pay of more than half on his cop salary. We think he was doing stuff on the side.” This was a blow to me, Kyle and I have been partners since our academy days and he never told me. “With who is the debt?” I asked when my brain was done being stunned and turned back online, whirling with numbers in my head. “That would be with the King of Sin.” Mr. Brechtenstein noted as he handed me a sealed envelope with a crest on it. McQueen Ltd.

Where had he seen that crest before? 

“I was instructed to give you this envelope should anything happen to Mr. Daniels before he could pay off the debt. From what I gathered, it’s an instruction manual for the debt and a personal letter addressed to you written by Mr. Daniels. Here is my card should you need my assistance.” And with that the man left the Chief’s office. “Are you okay Monroe?” The Chief put a mug with damping contents net to me on the table, worry etched all over his weathered face. “What I wonder is what in the name of God did he do to gain such a huge debt, with the King of Sin no less. Whenever there was talk about the Pleasure District or anything related to it, he would rant and rave about how much he hated the place. Said they needed to be shut down. Maybe this is the reason for his hate.” I wave the envelope around, still puzzling where I had seen that particular crest before.

I was about to leave the office when the Chief stopped me with a hand on my shoulder “I have more to tell you.” So I sat back down in the seat I just got out of. The Chief sat down behind his desk and opened my file folder, scanning the content. My whole body twitched with nervous energy as the Chief took his time reading. The chief was known for taking his time and making rational decisions. When he leaned back in his chair, folding his hands together, I knew he was ready to pass his verdict. For the Chief was known as the Supreme Judge in the force, whatever he said, you better do it and make it quick. Taking a deep breath, I force my tense muscles to relax. “What’s the verdict Chief?” He smiled slightly sadly at that, “I wish there was any other way to say this.” He sighed as he rubbed his temples.