{2}

(Link's apartment--->)

I had more than enough time to think about my present predicament when I reached my new apartment. I still don't know how I feel about being owned by someone, even less so by the mysterious King of Sin. In all my years on the force, the police never got a clear picture who he or she was. All we knew was that one day the King arrived and opened the Pleasure District. There was never trouble within the Pleasure District; they were ruled under the King's iron fist. They had their own kind of police force; they were the ones who were called instead of the regular police force, much to the Chief's displeasure.

It was weird for me not having my beeper around or my police radio giving reports on the background. Soothing me with the buzz of town, which I was grown accustom to hearing over the years. The Pleasure District however was quiet; there was no outside noise that penetrated the apartment walls or windows. Feeling jittery, I decided to get settled and unpack, after finishing putting away my scares belongings I decide it was time for dinner. In the kitchen I found the ingredients for an easy and simple dinner in the full stocked fridge. As dinner cooked, the envelope the lawyer gave me this morning was glaring at me. Inviting to see what kind of secrets it held within its pages.

Sitting at the dinner/breakfast table, I used a knife to open sealed envelope. Putting the used dinner utensils in the sink to wash later, walking back to the living room I sank into my beaten up couch, clicking on the lamp on the little table on the side. A table that wasn't in my old apartment. Deciding that I would solve the mystery of the table later, after I had read the letters. Holding my breath I slid out the two pieces of paper from the envelope. Unfolding the first piece of paper I was met with Kyle's chicken scratch.

Link,

If you read this I am no longer around to save your ass in the nick of time as I always do.

That first line made me chuckle, it's usually the other way around; it's usually me who saves his ass most of the time. The few times he saved my ass, he usually rubbed it in my face.

As you know I was working on a high profile undercover case, so high profile I can't tell you any details except that it's bad partner. Like real bad, like it's giving me nightmares bad.

I remembered the only time I actually got to see Kyle since he started his high profile assignment; he looked rugged and very tired. There were several marks on him, like marks of ownership. When asked about them he said they were marks of trust, the person higher up on the ladder trusted him and thought of him as someone who would be loyal to them until the end.

Things were going well; I was promoted from noob to confidant. I got a big gig from the boss way up high. I was to take out a rival boss, something I did. What they didn't know was that I let the younger child with him when I offed him, alive. Something they weren't too happy about when they learn about it. Ever since then, I have been looking over my shoulder. I even have taken up with sleeping with my loaded gun under my pillow, that's how paranoid I have gotten.

My eyebrows reach my hairline; Kyle was never someone paranoid enough to sleep with a loaded gun under his pillow. Kyle was the more laid back cop, where as I was the paranoid cop. I was the one who always kept a loaded gun, or any other kind of weapon within hands reach.

Since I wrote this letter on a paranoid whim, I hope you will get to read this and forgive me for my selfishness. Don't look too deep into my death if I die, promise me partner! Leave me be and accept the conclusion you're given. Really do, I know how stubborn you can be.

Kyle

Putting down the letter, I pinched the bridge of my nose. I know for sure Kyle's death was a liquidation, a thing that might take months, years, even decades to solve if things took a turn for the worst. I open the next piece of paper, just like the lawyer said it stated that I was Kyle's next of kin and heir. It also told me I took over his remaining debt with the King of Sin; however it didn't state the reason for the debt. Further down in the letter I found that I was to meet with the King of Sin tomorrow - today after a glance at the clock on the wall. Putting both letters back into the envelope and into a desk drawer that you could lock with a small key, I decided to call the home front let them know about this new predicament.