{37}

Link's pov

The signs do not bode well. Especially not when it involves certain topics on which my numerous family members are very short-sighted. Sighing, I flick through the voluminous messages in our family app. A way of my family, (more like my parents) to keep an eye on me. This all has to do with the way Aisly was when he returned from his unannounced retreat to my side of the country. 

A ping sound announces another venomous comment of one of my younger cousins on a previous snarky comment of their mother. Groaning, I let the device fall on the couch as I lean back throwing an arm across my eyes. This is the reason I left the damn family behind in the first place. I did not need this drama in my life combined with the danger of my previous job. So it was a no brainer to take the job in the major city as a homicide detective when the opportunity rose.

"Not a good day to be you huh?" My arm drops as I feel two strong hands knead my tense shoulders. My eyes open and I look in the slightly concerned face of Bear. I shake my head and let out a sound of appreciation as his nimble fingers tackle a vicious sore spot.

"Definitely not." I agree with a groan, lolling my head to the side. A weary sigh leaves my lips as the tension slowly disappear form between my shoulders. "They seem to have forgotten that I am a grown up man and choose not to deal with them and their pathetic antics." My eyes open as the wonderful fingers disappear, and Bear's face is inches from mine. Not in a good way either. His eyes are bright and there is a slight tremble to his lips.

"They love you." His voice sounds wistful, probably wondering what it feels like to have parents to be this concerned with their child's life.

"That they do." I agree, cause how can I not when it is the truth? "And because they do; they do not realise that they are stifling me with their affection." Bear smiles sadly and squeezes my knee before getting up from sitting beside me on the couch. "No you don't." I circle my arms around his neck, pulling him back down. "You are going to stay here and continue that wonderful massage you started."

He starts to rise up again but I throw my weight into it, letting everything below my arms take all the weight. "All-right, alright; you win." He huffs, pretending to be annoyed with me. Yet, the light in his eyes tell me he isn't all that annoyed with me. "Now let go and lie down." he smacks my cheek lightly as I lie down on my back, facing him. "Other way around duffus; lie on your stomach." Shaking his head lightly, he gives my shoulder a push. Giving him a last suspicious glance, I turn over on my stomach. When he starts kneading the muscles at the base of my neck, I sigh in contentment.

"Forget day care, you should seriously consider becoming a masseuse." As he attacks a particular tense muscle, Bear laughs softly as my leg twitches in reaction to the muscle. "You'd make millions."

I blink open an eye as my phone makes a noise that demands attention and Bear reaches over to have a look. Since we are all together like this, I gave Bear and Cedric my access code to my phone. "What is it?" I mumble, unwilling to leave my bubble of relaxation.

"Your mother." Bear slowly lowers the phone back on to the table. "She has called you five times already." He swallows thickly. "It might be a good idea to call her back. It might be something serious." Grumbling under my breath, I hold out my hand for the phone. Smiling Bear hands it over and places a light kiss on the top of my head.

As Bear moves to get up, I grab onto his shirt. "You are not going anywhere. I might need the moral support." Looking slightly put out, Bear slowly sinks back to sit on top of my ass again. Taking a few deep breaths, I listen to the phone ring once, twice a third time. Just as I am about to hang up and try again later, the phone is picked up.