{30}

FOX International Airport

Cedric's pov

I slam the phone on the receiver as Link's voicemail tells me he can't come to the phone right now, if I could leave my name and number he would get back to me asap. I have left him countless messages but he never come back to me. Bear has been inconsolable since Link left and he heard that his brother would wake up from his coma-induced state.

Groaning in frustration, I tug at my hair. My house is empty, no pitter patter of feet walking the floor above me, no clinking of China in the dishwasher as it turns. Now it's just me in this big old house. The day after Link left our side, Bear left as well. He said it was better for all of us to have some time away and gather our own thoughts.

I am glad Lauren offered Bear a place to stay, I didn't want him wandering the city, or leave. I know for sure that he would use this as an opportunity to escape, like he always seem to do when things get a little tough. When I asked him about it, he confirmed that would have run at the first opportunity, but he said and I could see him struggle with the right words, that he needed to see this through to the end. For his own sake and that of his brother.

Hearing that Reagan would be slowly pulled out of his coma induced state nearly gave me a heart attack. Although I understand that the police have several important questions to ask him, I really think it would have been better for everyone if Reagan had died on the spot. Would have saved us all a lot of trouble.

The beep of my answering machine had me turn my head towards it. Frowning at the red blinking light, I am pretty sure nobody would leave a message on my private home phone number; I pressed the button to play it.

"One new message", the electronic voice told me, "recorded on 25th of May, time; 7.30 Pm." My eyebrows met my hairline, I was home around that time but I never heard the phone ring!? What the hell!? There is a silence an then I hear someone take a deep breath and speak. My heart is in my throat the whole time the other person speaks.

"Hello Cedric...." Link's lilting voice caresses my ears. I have to listen three times to the message before it sinks in. "Hello Cedric... I-- I am coming back to the city." I don't like it, the obvious stress in his strained voice. "Bear called me a few days ago and told me Reagan is taken out of the forced coma since there is enough brain activity to suggest that he can wakeup on his own. And-- and I want gone there for him when the worst happens." Then there is some disturbance in the background that overpowers what he says next. "...but I will be bringing my cousin along, I hope that is no problem? Anyway we will be arriving at the FOX International AirPort on the 15th of June at 10 am.... I -- I love you guys and will see you in a couple of weeks."

"Delete message?" The electronic voice asked and I pressed the button to save the message. I can hardly contain my happiness at having Link back with us again. With his cousin admittedly, but I will take whatever I can get.

Since I am standing near the phone, I pick up the Horn and dial Lauren's number. "I need to speak to Bear." I announce before the person on the other side of the line can speak. Tapping my foot impatiently as I wait for Bear to come to the phone, I realise that I need to clear our schedules for the 15th of June.

"Hello?" Bear's sleepy voice asks and I can imagine him rubbing his eyes.

"Hello Cub," I coo, gliding my fingers across the surface of the little table on which the phone rests. "I am the bearer of good news, Link is coming home!" I can't help but talk a little louder in my excitement. The excitement of having Link back slowly evaporates, as Bear stays silent for quite a while. It makes me slightly uncomfortable.