Chapter 12

Luigi POV

Dimentio also had a countdown timer. While we waited I'd constantly ask him how much time was left. I think I was being a little annoying, but he didn't seem to mind. He seemed just an anxious about this.

I felt awkward holding Daisy's sword. It was heavy. How does she carry this thing around with her all day. It felt weird to hold.

"Would you just relax. It's a sword." Dimentio told me. I rolled my eyes. "Yeah! But it's a special sword! She cares about it a lot. I don't want to drop it!"

We waited a few more minutes.

"You know, I've noticed that...I haven't really gotten to help get any of the keys yet." I muttered. He looked over at me. "What?" "I don't know. Daisy gave us the first key, you got the second, and now she's getting the third. I'm just feeling...I don't know, unhelpful?" 

He had a slightly saddened expression on his face. I shook my head. "Not that it matters. It doesn't matter. I'm use to it. All I care about is getting this book." He looked down. "Luigi, you're not being 'unhelpful.' If it weren't for you, none of us would have gotten this far. The only reason I was able to get that last key was because I was getting it for you. And the only reason Daisy is getting this one is you." My eyes softened. He continued. "But, I'm sure you'll get more action for the next. No, I promise you'll get more action. I won't let you get left out. Alright?"

I really couldn't thank him enough. Before all this I hated him. I hated him more than almost anyone, with the acceptation of King Boo. I really was scared of King Boo. It's one thing to mess with me, but to mess with Mario, no. Anywho, I'm getting off track.

But now, look at how far he, no, we've come. He is going through all this effort for me, doing all this for me. He's being nice. He's helping. And, he's going to let me be apart of the adventure.

That was always a funny thing about Dimentio. He seemed to think I was strong. He chose me to host the chaos heart, even though I hated it. He believed in me. He wanted me in the action. And I don't know why.

Dimentio looked down at his timer. "Okay, two minutes. She'd better have that key." I smiled. "She'll have it." He shook his head. "Why do you always do that?" "Do what?" He sighed. "I don't know, you always believe in us. You're so trusting. We barely know her." I shrugged. He continued. "The world has done so much to you. If I were you, I'd never trust anyone again." 

"Well, I'm not sure. I just....in the end it's all gonna work out. It always does. I just have to trust in us. Sometimes there's nothing left to do but trust."

He looked down at his timer again. "30 seconds. I'm gonna get ready to bring her back."

I took my hat off and fixed my hair. I don't know why. Dimentio laughed. "What are you doing?" "I don't know. Just fixing my hair so I don't look like a homeless person when she gets back." I brushed some of the dirt off my hat and placed it back on my head. He smiled and shook his head. "We're on the run, searching for these keys, being hunted by everyone and that's what you're worried about?" I rolled my eyes. "Just look at the timer."

10...9...8...7...6...

Dimentio raised his hand into the air, preparing to snap his fingers and bring Daisy back. I stood up, holding Daisy's sword. I made sure not to get any dirt on it.

5...4...3...2...

1

Dimentio snapped, and she was back. I could see the key hooked around her belt. "Hello boys. I believe this is for you." She took the key off and tossed it to me. I fumbled around to catch it. "You did it! I knew you could! Oh, and here's your sword back! I kept it safe!" I quickly handed her the sword. She looked at it, with a longing look in her eyes, then she looked at me. I smiled. She smiled back.

Dimentio snapped his fingers to grab out attention. "Hey, quit staring at each other." I looked back at him and scratched the back of my head. "Right. Sorry, heh." I couldn't quite see, but I think Daisy was rolling her eyes.

"Well, my work here is done. I'll see you out there." What? She was leaving? I quickly grabbed her hand. "What? You're leaving again?" She nodded her head.

"No, why don't you stay with us! You have no where else to be. We could be like a team. Please?"

She shook her head. "You don't want me on this 'team.' And besides, I'm pretty sure Dimentio wouldn't like that." I looked back at him. He wasn't paying attention. He was just sitting there, drinking another shroom shake which I can only assume he stole. I looked back at her. "Oh, he'll get over it. Please, stay. I want you here."

She looked over at Dimentio, then back at me. I was giving her my best puppy dog eyes. I could tell they were working.

"....Ugh, fine. I can stay. But only because I have nothing better to do." I smiled and hugged her tight. "OH, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!" I exclaimed. I grabbed her hand and ran over to Dimentio. "Hey, Dim! Guess what?? She's gonna stay with us and help!"

He looked at me. "You called me Dim again."

Oh, I completely forgot. "Ah, sorry. It just slipped out. You know, I don't have to call you that if you don't like." He shook his head and smiled. "No, it's fine.....wait, did you say she's staying??" I nodded and held her hand up. "Yep! Meet the newest member of our team!" She giggled. Dimentio pulled me aside.

"What are you doing?" He whispered. "I'm letting her join us. W-was that not obvious?" He shook his head. "You want her to join us on this whole thing?? She doesn't even know who we really are. We don't even know who she really is!" I smiled. "Come on, she's already proven herself. She can help us. Please let her stay. I trusted you, can you trust me."

I saw him look away. "....fine." I quickly pulled him into a hug. "Yes! Thank you! I knew you'd agree!" He began to squirm. "Gah! Get off me, quit hugging everyone!" I let go. "Heh, sorry."

Daisy put her sword away. "So, what now?" I paused. The next stop was the Mushroom Kingdom....but we couldn't go there. Not now. "I....well..." Dimentio stepped in. "We need to just lay low for a while. Wait for people to cool down and forget about us. Then we should be able to grab the last key."

From then on, we really were a team. We would stay somewhere until we were found out, then escape to somewhere else. I came to rather enjoy it. It was like we were on a constant adventure. Dimentio and Daisy occasionally fought, but I was usually able to break it up. We became really close. Almost like family. Although, we never told Daisy who we really were. She never told us either. I often would wonder why she was searching for the book earlier, but whenever I asked she would say that it didn't matter.

I often wanted to tell her who we were and why we were looking for it, but Dimentio always stopped me. I guess he didn't want her to know about everything that he'd done. I understand.

I never told her about Mario or Varian. I don't know why.

"So, who's going to be the one handling the book?" She asked us one day. Dimentio immediately responded. "Him." I nodded. "Yup. Me!" She cracked her knuckles, one of her habits, and continued. "Alright. Well, you know that to much of the book will change you. It is made for the selfish, so it's best we have the most selfless person getting it." Dimentio chimed in. "That's why he's going to be the one dealing with it." She sighed. "Okay, but I really don't want it changing you. You're only going to grab the pages you need, right?"

Dimentio and I exchanged glances. "Uhh, well now we are." I said, while scratching the back of me head. She smiled. "Good. When you get there, just look through and grab only what you need." I nodded.

We spent two years lying low. It didn't feel as long as it was. I think we all grew to love and trust each other. Daisy was a thrill seeker, always up for a challenge. Dim was productive and smart, he would always find the easiest way around issues. I was by far the most kind. Daisy and Dim would sometimes make fun of my 'innocence,' but I knew that they liked it deep down.

I would still occasionally get dreams. Not dreams, memories. Memories of my time as Mr. L. But most of those consisted of random things, like hanging out with Dimentio or insulting the other minions.

"Hey, Luigi?" Dim asked me one morning. It was a beautiful day outside, birds were singing and flowers were blooming. I looked over. He handed me the scroll for the Mushroom Kingdom. "I think....I think it's time."