Part 2, Chapter 10

Third Person POV

"NO NO NO NO!" Captain Toadette screamed in frustration. "DANG IT!" She knocked the interrogation table aside. A few other toad guards cowered in fear.

Toadette lowered her head and spoke in a low voice. "Varian helped him escape." She shook her head. "But why? He made us promise to keep him locked up for the rest of his life. Why would he do that??"

The toads shrugged, still nervous. Toadette slammed her fist down. "DANG IT, WHY?! THIS IS A DISASTER! WE'VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR THAT MAN FOR YEARS! THEN, WHEN WE FINALLY GET AHOLD OF HIM, HE ESCAPES, ALONG WITH OUR ONE OTHER PRISONER?!?! THIS IS NOT GOOD! BOYS, WE NEED TO FIND HIM!"

Just then, another toad burst into the room. "Captain! The princess wishes to speak with you regarding the incident."

Toadette's face went pale. The room went silent.

She slowly and silently stepped out of the room.

She quietly made her way to the princess. Never has she felt so nervous. 

"Your Highness?" She asked, while bowing, once she arrived. Peach turned around to face her. "Captain."

"You wish to speak with me?" Toadette asked. "Re....*ehem* regarding the little prison break." Peach nodded. "Yes. I was notified about it almost immediately after it happened." Toadette inhaled. "Rest assured, I'll fix it. I promise. I'll get the prisoners back where they belong."

Peach shook her head. "Yes, yes. I know you will. But that's not what I wanted to talk to you about."

Peach held up a taser.

"I was informed that you have been using this on Luigi."

Toadette's face went even more pale. Peach continued. "I gave a specific order. No harm was to come to him. Yet, you disobeyed me. This weapon is only to be used on the clown."

Toadette shook her head. "If I may argue, I feel that your sediment is getting in the way of bringing the criminals in. The man in green will continue to refuse to cooperate unless we take extreme measures-" "I DON'T CARE. Toadette, listen. You defied a DIRECT order from me."

Toadette froze, before bowing her head in shame.

"My apologies, your Highness." Peach nodded. "You are on very thin ice, Captain. You're the strongest Captain the Mushroom Kingdom has seen in quite some time. So, please, don't let me down. When you find Luigi again, NO HARM will come to him. You are not permitted to use the taser on him, and you are not allowed to hurt him. Are we clear?"

Toadette nodded. "Crystal."

Peach nodded. "Good. Now please, bring Luigi back to me SAFELY. I don't care how difficult it is, I want NO HARM to come to him. Those tasers aren't designed for people like him." Toadette looked up and smiled. "Yes, Your Majesty." Peach turned around. "You are free to go. I'll send you out with a squad to retrieve Luigi and bring him back. Then, you may continue your search for the clown."

Toadette turned around and walked back.

She was on thin ice.

Once she got back to her squad, she pulled out a map. "Okay, he can't be far. I'm going to send a small squad to each of the neighboring kingdoms, and I'll lead a squad in searching the Mushroom Kingdom. But first...." She looked down and let out a breath. "Who told?"

Everyone gave each other nervous glances. Toadette repeated herself, more clearly and with a hint of anger this time. "Who. Told."

One toad, one of the younger members of the group, slowly raised his hand. "I...I did."