Part 2, Chapter 14

Mr. L POV

We spent a few days, maybe weeks, we didn't keep track, working on the gun, making sure everything was in order. The kid actually rather enjoyed sleeping outside in the woods. He said it reminded him of when he'd go camping with his parents.

"Okay, so if we did this correctly, Mario's soul should still be in here. Now, there's no way to really test this until we find him, so we'll only really have one shot." The kid started. 

"Okay. So we've gotta get into your house, free Mario, then boom. Luigi's happy and doesn't hurt anyone else."

I hope.

Varian excitedly nodded. "Cool! Then he'll come clean and clear your name! We won't have to worry about hiding!" I nodded. "Yep. That's the goal."

An unlikely goal, but worth a shot.

Third Person POV

Luigi spent every day outside, looking for Mr. L. He didn't go far, since he needed to be near Mario. Once he got Mr. L's soul, he'd only have 30 minutes to get it back to Mario or it would disappear, and he couldn't let that happen.

"Where are you...." He muttered.

Varian held up the gun. "I think I should be the one to free Mario. I caused this mess, and I wanna fix it. Plus, he's going to feel disoriented. He won't know that any time had passed. I was the last person he saw, so I think it'll be less stressful for him if it's just me." Mr. L hesitantly nodded. He knew that Mario would probably freak out if he woke up and saw...well...him. But leaving the kid on his own? Mr. L had a deep gut feeling that something bad was gonna happen.

Varian could see the uneasy look in L's eyes. "Please. I started this mess. Let me fix it. I need to be the one to fix it."

Mr. L slowly nodded again. "Alright. I have full faith in you. You can do this. Just... be careful."

The two walked over and up to a hilltop. They were about a mile from the Mushroom Kingdom. This was a more open area compared to the woods. Mr. L wanted a view of the whole Kingdom so he could see if Luigi was anywhere. No sign of him yet.

He handed the kid a radio. "Here. I'll keep watch from up here. If I see him, I'll be able to tell you where he is. Alright?" The kid nodded and took one. "A-alright."

He slung the gun over his back. The two had added a strap so it would just hang there. Mr. L briefly smiled at him. The kid gave a confused look. "What? What's with the smile?"

"Oh, nothing. You just look super cool. With that gun slung across your back." Mr. L replied. He smiled. "Thanks," Then started down the hill.

Mr. L watched over, holding the radio close to his mouth. "Okay, no signs of him yet."

The kid carefully made his way down the hill. He was careful not to be seen by anyone. He could cut through town to save time and get to his house faster, but if he didn't want to get spotted, he'd have to go around and use the trees as cover.

"You okay, kid? I can't see you," Mr. L asked through the radio. Varian picked it up and replied. "Yes. Just using the trees as cover so I don't get spotted-"

Varian suddenly froze.

"Kid? Kid? You good?" Mr. L's voice came through the radio.

Varian dropped it and stepped back.

"Varian? Come in. Come in? Kid? Answer me!" The radio kept saying, but Varian ignored it.

Standing right in front of him, was Luigi. He was staring him down, staff in hand.