Part 2, Chapter 4

Luigi POV

I walked down to the Castle, new staff in hand.

Holding this staff seemed to give me a burst of confidence. I felt strong. I felt brave. 

I felt powerful.

It was nice to feel like this. I think I liked it. 

The book just followed me, floating close behind. I made sure not to be seen by anyone. It was pretty easy not to be spotted when everyone was either at home or at work. There were only a few people outside.

Still, I took precautions. Making sure to stay out of sight.

Eventually I went around to the back of the castle. I knew of a back entrance to the dungeons near here. Varian must still be in there. I just need to talk to him.

Right....talk.

I ignored that voice. As I made my way around the back of the Castle, I saw the murky blue water.

The water that terrified Dimentio.

"Don't go in. You're going to get stuck down there. You can't go."

The water that he dove into anyway, despite those fears, just to save my life.

I looked away. I felt a pit in my stomach.

I could bring him back, but I don't know where his body is. I need his body if I am to bring him back this time. Trust me, I tried bringing him back. I tried so hard. But without his body here, it was homeless, and I don't think queen Jades would like if it I went back down to the Underwhere and broke him out again. She's probably monitoring him closely now.

Why did I drop him? WHY DID I DROP HIM??

Because I told you to.

I ignored the voice again. 

He no longer had value to you. He was starting to doubt your plans. It was only a matter of time before he turned on you. Plus, once you freed your brother, what would he do? Go back to being evil. You did the right thing.

"Yeah...I guess...." I muttered.

I shook my head and moved forward. Standing here looking at the water was making my heart hurt. I had a job to do.

I made my was to the back entrance to the dungeons. It was locked, of course. I wish I knew how to pick locks, but I didn't.

"Guess we're doing things this way." I picked up my staff, and thrusted it into the door handle, breaking it off. The door swung open.

I walked in, more confidence and power in my walk. I don't think I've ever felt this way. I felt so, alive. So strong. Like I could do anything, and nothing was holding me back.

"VARIAN!" I called.

I heard someone move in one of the cells I quickly ran over to see Varian sitting there. Someone else was with him, but I didn't pay attention to them. I barely even noticed them. 

The kid stood up and looked at me with his big grey eyes. Oh, how he had grown. Last time I saw him he was shorter than Mario. Now he's even taller than me. His eyes still were filled with childlike wonder, but also grief and sadness. Good. He deserves that sadness.

I chuckled. "Wow. Little Varian had a growth spurt. You're even taller than I am!" Varian's eyes went wide. "L-Luigi.....I-"

I growled, the reached through the bars and grabbed his collar. "Listen here, kid. I need you to tell me about that gun. Where did Mario's soul go? I need it." I could feel myself filled with rage.