Part 2, Chapter 17 "Broken"

AN: A few suicidal thoughts in this chapter.

Third Person POV

"Bro....what's going on?" Mario asked as he looked around at the scene. "What are you doing?"

Luigi slowly lowered his arms. "No....how...?"

Mario looked over at Varian, who was unconscious. "Is...is he okay? Luigi, what happened?"

Luigi grabbed at his hair and looked down. "No no NO NO! This isn't how it was supposed to happen. I was gonna.....everything was so perfect!" 

He slowly looked around. His eyes shifted from angry, to horrified.

"No.....I've....no...."

He looked at the book, then at Dimentio.

"I....dropped you." 

"I....." Luigi looked back at the book, then down at his own hands. "I.....wasn't strong enough." He began to shake. "I...."

He hugged himself and let out a scream.

Suddenly, he grabbed at the book and began frantically ripping the pages up. "W-WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME?!" He cried. 

Dimentio ran forward. "Luigi! You're gonna hurt yourself!"

Luigi felt a deep pain in his heart, but continued tearing the book up. 

Mario ran towards him as well. "Luigi? What are you doing?! What's going on??"

Luigi covered his face, then looked at Dimentio. "Kill me! Dim, please."

Dimentio froze. Mario grabbed Luigi's arm. "Luigi, what happened?"

Luigi ignored his brother and continued looking at Dimentio. "Please..."

Luigi clutched his chest. Dimentio slowly looked down at the book. The pages were all torn up. Then he looked down at his own hands.

"....no."

He looked at Daisy, who was holding her ankle. "We're going to save you. Or at least try."

He kneeled down and hovered his hand over the book.

"I'm gonna take the book. It's gonna hurt, but I have to take it."

Luigi became more frantic. He quickly grabbed the torn up item. "NO! Don't touch it! It's gonna hurt you!"

Dimentio smiled. "I won't touch it." He closed his eyes and focused as hard as he could. His magic was still not all there, so teleporting the book into a whole other Galaxy would take everything he had.

Then, the book disappeared. Luigi cried out in pain. "Agh, it hurts." He whimpered. Dimentio let out a breath, then looked at Mario.

"Get him to a hospital. Now."

Mario nodded, then picked his brother up. Luigi began to shake a little less.

"Wait, your mask. It's cracked."

Dimentio lifted his hand to his masked face, then slowly smiled. "....it's just a mask."

Luigi squeezed his eyes shut. "I broke it. You love that mask, and I broke it." Dimentio sighed. "It's really not a big deal-"

"I killed people. L-let me die. Please. I...."

Mario's eyes went wide. "You wha-" Dimentio shushed him. "That wasn't you...."

Luigi shook his head quickly. "No. It was me. I-I knew what I was doing. And I didn't stop it. I... I...I can't live with myself. Please."

Dimentio looked at Mario, pain filling his eyes. "He doesn't have much time now that the book has been taken away. Get him to a hospital. I'll catch up and do what I can in a minute."