"Talk To Me!" (Steve X Enby)

Key: D/N = Dead Name, P/N = Preferred Name

Steve Rogers was a hard person to avoid, and not just because he was Captain America. He knew your schedule, so he always showed up where you were heading. This was fine, of course, when you wanted to talk. But now that you didn't?

Not so much.

"D/N, wait!" You winced and kept walking. Maybe he'd get the hint? A hand clasped around yours. It seemed he would not. "D/N, why are you ignoring me recently? Did I do something?" He asked as you turned to face him. The look on his face was so heartbroken.

Steve let go of your hand. "You didn't do anything," you said. "So why?" His blue eyes met yours sadly. It was obvious he missed you. You missed him too- it was killing you to avoid him so much- but it'd have to stay that way until you found out how to tell him. "Steve, I'm... I'm late for work." Lie. You didn't have work today.

"Talk to me!" People looked over at the sound of him begging. This would be all over the internet if you didn't do something, you could tell. With a bigger-than-necessary sigh, you took his hand. "Fine. Let's go to my place."

Once at your house, you both sat o the couch. Steve stared at you expectantly. "Straight to the point then, huh?" You asked. He nodded. "I've been avoiding you because... I didn't know how to tell you that... that I'm..." Suddenly you felt choked up. He came from a time before this was normal, what if he hated you for it? "Hey, it's okay. You can tell me anything, D/N."

"It's P/N," you blurted. "P/N? I thought-" Your friend looked you in the eye,  and you watched as he pieced it together. "You're transgender?" In a small voice, you said, "Yeah. Well, non-binary... I thought you'd hate me or something, I'm sorry-" He hugged you tightly. "Never. I'd never hate you, you're my best friend. D/N- I mean, P/N, I care about you too much to just hate you for that."

You hugged back tightly, biting back tears. "I know- I'm sorry, I should have just talked to you."

"Are you free now?"

"Yeah?"

"Talk to me, P/N."

And you did. You explained everything, your pronouns, how he should introduce you because of it, everything. Steve took notes in his little red journal, smiling at you the whole time.

A week later, he helped you tell the Avengers.