Under Pressure

3 Months Later: Beginning of September

Los Angeles had endured a scorching summer, and Jane thought the public was beginning to reflect the heated weather. People had begun to be on edge and irritable and ready to snap at anyone who dared to look at them the wrong way. However, for Jane, that summer had been one of happiness and healing. She and Xavier had been seeing each other for months and their relationship had been a fine line between serious and casual.

Contrary to his confident and easygoing exterior, Xavier Peters had as many physical hang-ups as Jane did. Xavier and Jane had been relieved to find that when it came to baggage, the other held no judgement and only support, a first in a partner for the both of them. They had someone who was dependable without becoming toxic and co-dependent. While the physical aspect of their relationship never got past a few heavy kissing sessions, whenever one of them would freeze, triggered, they would talk them down and bring them back to a safe place.

Despite their connection, they both knew their relationship wasn't going to last forever, but it meant something. Xavier and Jane had been through hell and their dating life had been reflective of that. They pushed away the people who could be good for them and they'd dated psychos and lying jerks who had STDs. This relationship represented a new start, and they were going to enjoy it while they had it.

That September morning, she woke up to the sound of a messenger notification. 

Today is going to be a good day. 

A glance at the screen made her smile. She tapped on her phone, ignoring the groan and glare of Felix, who'd been asleep on top of her stomach and was displaced with her movements.

Lord Chivalry: Won my fight last night. Can't wait to see you when I get back.

Jane's smile got wider. He was currently in Texas at a tournament and on their last video call he'd been anxious about that fight because the guy he was up against was new to the circuit and supposed to be very good.

Lady Badass: That's amazing! Although I'm not surprised. I can't wait to see you.

It was one of the hottest days ever. The next day was predicted to be the hottest day of the year, and as much as Jane didn't want to leave the safety of her air-conditioned apartment, she had to. She was out of food for herself and Felix needed more cat food and litter before she went on her double shift this week. And so, wearing her favorite band t-shirt and long jean shorts, with her blonde hair pulled into a side braid, she stuffed her wallet and phone into her purse and went out for groceries.

She almost dreaded going out to her car, knowing that the dark seats would have made it a small oven. But she was out of her chips and virtually any other snack or food item in her apartment, so desperate times called for desperate measures. Of course, that was easier said than done when she walked outside her building and was hit with the wave of heat. She'd thought she had been prepared after her pep talk to herself, but she wasn't. She rushed to her car, already sweating, and reluctantly sat on her pleather seats, the backs of her thighs sticking to the burning surface.

Thrusting her key anxiously in the ignition, she turned her air conditioner on full blast, relieved when the hot air became cold and cooled the inside of her car. Once she was reasonably cool, she pulled out of her parking lot and made her way to her favorite grocers. It was close enough that she'd usually walk the trip, but she was buying a full load today and it was just too hot. When she arrived at her destination, she sprinted from her car into the grocers, in an effort to not melt. She was only relatively successful.

With a cheerful smile towards the older gentleman who held open the door for her, she grabbed a cart and made her way to the back of the store. She had to buy all of her staples today, as well as supplies to make angel food cake and strawberry toping, which she had promised her team to make before the summer ended. Given the heat, she thought now would be an excellent time to do so. She planned to make the cake and topping tonight so she could bring it in tomorrow.