Malfunction

Triggers: Intrusive thoughts, Depression

Jane was back at work, and she could not be any happier. Not at all.

Sure, she might have liked for one of her first shifts back to be a bit less cold, but she wasn't about to complain too much when the 118 was called to the ice-skating arena. Unfortunately, the mishap that had happened was a bit bloody and had happened in front of a crowd of hundreds of children.

She was a bit more surprised to find that the main victims were Hansel and Gretel and that the two blonde skaters who played them were in the middle of a lover's spat. It seemed oddly appropriate that Gretel's skate seemed to have pierced itself above Hansel's heart, but at the moment, that wasn't her concern. Hen and Chim had the pair in hand, while Eddie and Jane were looking around the rink for fingers. Four fingers had been sliced off of one skater's hand and they had to find them.

Evan Buckley was supposed to be helping them out with the search but well...he was otherwise occupied. Buck was slipping and sliding across the ice and any help he could offer would be a miracle. The first time he fell, Jane and Eddie hadn't been able to stop themselves from laughing. The second time, they'd worried that they'd have to call another ambulance to send him to the hospital.

"Have you ever been to one of these things?" Eddie asked Jane and Buck who somehow managed to slide his way over to their general direction. They searched behind some wooden trees, lifting pieces of canvas that hid support beams in case the missing appendages had somehow fallen between the gaps.

"No," Jane grinned up at him ruefully, catching his eye, "but I always wanted to go to one. After this, I think I'll pass on the experience."

"Me," Buck huffed, finally making it over to them, "too." He was grateful when he was able to step onto the dark piece of canvas that surrounded the trees and gave him steady footing off of the ice.

"You grew up in Pennsylvania Buck," Jane pointed out. "What's up with not being able to handle the ice?"

"I can handle ice," he argued. "Just...uh...not without skates."

"Sure," Eddie agreed and nodded in a way that all three of them knew meant that he and Jane both knew Buck was full of it.

"Besides," Buck told them, bending down to look behind one of the trees, "most of the places I've lived since Pennsylvania, have been warm climates."

"Hmmm," Jane hummed, equally as unimpressed as she looked around a false mushroom, and grinned. "Found the pointer."

"Dang it," Buck groaned. As morbid as it was, there were four fingers missing and three of them. So, they had a small wager. Whoever found more of the fingers wouldn't have to do dishes next shift. Jane had just found the first finger.

"And I've got the middle finger," Eddie called from his position besides the fake bushes.

"No," the youngest blond groaned, not at all liking his odds of winning. It hadn't helped that he'd looked in his safe spot, and now at to go to the other stretch of canvas. He would surely fall trying to get over there. Again.

That was how Bobby found them all when he came in and met Chimney near the entrance to the ice.

"What's the story Chim?" he'd asked immediately.

Jane immediately groaned, knowing Chimney would be unable to help himself, and she was right.

"These two children are abandoned in the woods, and they come upon a gingerbread house where a witch entices them..." he trailed off, as Bobby merely tilted his head to the side, not accepting the sarcasm. So, with a sigh, Chim gave him the rundown of the scene which, he'd missed when he had to check in with Dispatch. Chim also introduced Bobby to Hansel and Gretel and their special entanglement.