Summer Daze

In May, Jane took two days and flew to Las Vegas for Xavier's wedding, which Jane said was one of the most beautiful that she'd ever attended (although she didn't mention that she'd only been to two weddings). She would have stayed, something Xavier and Lauren had tried to push for, but she had missed out on so much work that year for medical purposes that she didn't want to take anymore time off. As it was, she'd scheduled it just so that she only had to change one shift with Tamika (a member of the other 118 shift) and she'd not have to miss any work.

Still, she attended the wedding, and it was a grand affair. Xavier had enjoyed a lot of success with the promoters who he'd signed with, and the décor certainly reflected that success with gold and crystal twinkling in the candlelit atmosphere. It was not at all subtle, but then again, neither were the bride and groom. Xavier had looked handsome at the alter beaming down at Lauren who'd been stunning in a ballgown so big that it threatened to swallow the flowers that had lined the aisle.

The reception was extravagant as well, filled with blood red roses and gold embroidered cream tablecloths. Jane was half convinced that the place settings and silver she ate with with cost more than one month's rent on her apartment. Still, as uncomfortable as such wealth made her, she was filled with joy for her dear friend as she watched him dance with his new wife. Eventually, Xavier, ever the gentleman, came and swept her up for a dance as well while Lauren danced with her only brother.

"So," Jane said happily, "Married life seems to agree with you!"

"It does indeed," he responded, looking over her head and exchanging yet another loving look with Lauren. Jane melted at the sight. "I never realized I could be this happy. It feels...amazing. Really, truly, amazing, and it's all thanks to you."

"It's hardly my doing," Jane blushed under the praise. "I just told you to go for it. Everything else was you and Lauren."

"No," he shook his head. "If you didn't prove to me that I was more than what I was, that I worth someone loving me, then I wouldn't have been able to ask Lauren on a date, let alone ask her to marry me. Thank you."

"Well, when you put it like that, I guess you're welcome," Jane muttered bashfully, causing him to laugh.

"So," Xavier's smile turned teasing. "How are things with a certain firefighter? He still got that tortured-single father, hallmark movie looks thing going for him?"

"What?" Jane asked, startled at the description and then wondering why it made sense.

"You can't tell me you don't see it?" Xavier told her. "He's a single father who works with you and is falling for you, who most definitely are the product of a Hallmark movie with a can-do attitude. It's almost sickeningly adorable."

Jane scoffed, responding only to the part of the statement that she could handle at the moment. "I hardly think my childhood trauma and graphic job would be fit for the Hallmark channel Xave."

"Maybe not," he shrugged carelessly, "But you gotta' admit, your love story would make the channel a lot spicier."

"I don't love him," Jane said immediately, the edge to her voice betraying her. "Well...I mean I guess I do love him but not like that. I love him and Christopher, dearly. We're friends."

"Ah, my dear little Janie," he laughed. "You forget, I've seen how the man looks at you."

"And how is that?" she challenged.

"He looks at you," Xavier said gently, not teasing anymore, "like you are a lifeline."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means just what I said," the man responded cryptically.

"That's hardly helpful," Jane scoffed at him, but Xavier was unmoved, giving her a small smile of understanding.