Careful What You Wish For

"Uhum...." Eddie stared at Jane, completely speechless, when she opened the door. His son, however, had no such impediment.

"What on earth are you wearing?" Christopher looked up at Jane with wide eyes and an enamored grin.

Jane turned the shade of the supremely poufy, pink, tulle ballgown that she was wearing. Self-consciously, she reached behind her and adjusted the glittered wings strapped to her back and fixed her tilted crown that had drooped over her eyes when she'd run to the door.

"Oh. Well, it's enchanted story time at the hospital and their fairy princess reader got sick...and I'd volunteered before so here I am."

"That was my first guess," Eddie gave her a wry smile. "Well. We were going to ask if you wanted to join us for lunch with Buck, but we can see that you are otherwise occupied."

"Oh. Well, thank you, but yeah. This is a big event that they put on for the kids in the pediatric wing. They call in for baked goods, clowns, and a bunch of other entertainment. They need the volunteers so I'm off now..."

"That," Chris said with a giant smile, "is awesome! Can we come next time?"

"Christopher," Eddie said softly, "you can't just invite yourself places."

"I mean they welcome any volunteers, but I'm sure you guys want to get going. Can't keep Buck waiting or else he'll get too cranky."

"No, we don't," Chris responded without hesitation. "He gets really grumpy when he's hungry, almost as grumpy as when he loses at videogames."

Eddie and Jane couldn't help but laugh.

"Yeah, buddy," Eddie ruffled his son's hair. "He really does. We better not keep him waiting then."

"Better not," Jane agreed. She grabbed her purse and keys from the side table and closed the door behind her. "Since you two are here, I might as well walk you down. I'm already running behind."

Christopher kept looking back and forth between her crown and wings and gave her a huge smile every time. Jane returned the smile and couldn't help the feeling of warm affection in her heart for this little boy. Ever since their trip to the flea market together, Chris had stuck to Jane closer than ever. They had a ridiculous number of inside jokes now, she'd taught him seven new card games, and Chris and Eddie were nearly permanent editions to Jane and Chimney's movie nights, which had gotten a lot more family friendly whenever they attended.

Jane and Eddie were mostly silent on the way down, just taking comfort in the other one being beside them, as they listened to Christopher talk about how poor of a loser Buck was when Chris beat him at their latest video game obsession. When they reached the parking lot, and the men walked Jane to her car, Jane turned and waved them off.

"Bye boys!"

Christopher rushed forward and gave her a big hug. "You are my favorite fairy princess."

"Thank you," Jane murmured, trying desperately not to cry, she sent a wide-eyed look at Eddie, who just shrugged and smiled.

"He's right. I can't name a fairy princess I like more," Eddie told her. Letting go of her, Chris took off and began to load himself into Eddie's truck which was right next to her car. Seeing him struggle, Eddie lifted him up, and helped Chris climb in and ordered him to buckle up.

"And you have a veritable list of them I'm sure," Jane snorted. "Bye Eddie. Wish I could come."

"Yeah," he rubbed the back of his neck, "We do too, but have fun. You'll need to tell us all about your Fairy Princess deeds."