Rage

Trigger Warnings for the Chapter: Depression, Death, Discussions of Rape and Miscarriage. 

October 21, 2016- With the 129

"Hey, Firefighter Thomas!" Jane looked up from her novel, irritated because she was just about to find out if she was right thinking that the sister was the murderer, to see one of her coworkers, giving her a look that told her he'd called her name more than one time. Well, most likely he'd called for "Chickadee" at least three or four times before resorting to her name, but that was just Benny.

"What do you want, Benny?" she put in a bookmark and stuffed her book into her backpack while she stood up from her seat in the overstuffed chair.

The 129 firehouse was laid out like most were in Los Angeles. On the ground floor were the trucks and equipment, as well as the locker rooms and a workout room. Upstairs was the kitchen, a lounge area where the crew often hung out on their downtime, and in the back were sleeping quarters for the overnight shifts. Jane had been in the lounge area, finishing up her book. It was more of a supernatural thriller this time, in honor of the spooky season.

Benny, who'd just graduated up from being a probie a few months after she did, was a solid sort of man. He was an EMT, and working under Kenneth O'Connell, there was no doubt he was going to be a great one. Benny was also one of the few members of the 129 who were close to her age, if a few years her senior. The others at the house were nearing retirement, and they were looking at a big turnaround in the next five years, but Jane purposefully didn't think of that. She'd miss all the old grumps.

"Cap wants to talk to you in the office," he said, his red hair and beard shining in the afternoon sun. "Said that you'd better not keep him waiting just for the butler to have done it."

Jane grinned, knowing that Captain Ames had actually started to get into reading as one of the hobbies he planned to pick up in retirement, and that she'd caught him last shift checking out the TBR stack she always kept on her shelf.

"Yeah, yeah," she mock sighed, passing Benny to shuffle down the stairs.

"So are you still coming on that double date tonight?" Benny asked. "Ricky has been really looking forward to it. He thinks you and his coworker will really hit it off."

"I'm going to be honest with you Benny, if I'm going on a date with your gorgeous future husband, how do you expect me to even look at this other guy? I mean..." she did a whimsical sigh, "He's just...so pretty."

"I know," Benny smiled confidently, "and he's so mine. But you'll really like the guy Ricky picked out for you. He's also an engineer, and my man swears that he's great."

"I mean, if he says so. What's this guy's name anyway?"

"Uh," at this Benny looked bashful.

"Oh, come on," Jane said, actually growing concerned by his lack of immediate response. "It can't be that bad."

"Toby."

"Toby," Jane repeated.

"Yeah," Benny grimaced, "Not the most romantic name but I've seen pictures and the guy is cute. Not as cute as Ricky, but definitely cute."

"At least if it doesn't work out, I can get a free meal and a chance to ogle Ricky."

"Why are we friends?"

"Because you love me!"

"True," he sighed. "Better get going though, or Cap will regret sending me up here."

"I'm sure he already does," an aged and gruff voice sounded behind them, and they turned their bashful looks towards a balding, pudgy man in his seventies with a very impressive white mustache. Timothy Maitland had been with the 129 since his own days as a probie and now that he was retired, he still felt the need to drop in every so often to bestow bits of wisdom on the crew of 'young whippersnappers' as he liked to call anyone under the age of fifty.