she's in love with who i am

don't you think that we're too old to play your game? 

Oakland, California. 1:50AM

Kehlani Parrish sighed as she took a long drag from her blunt. "Roll that shit again please." It was going on 2am in the editing studio. Her editor was working on changing up some things from a short film they shot together. It was about a couple she met on the piers, a deep interview. The two were together for 40 years and planning on finally getting married. It was an interesting piece that she shot. It seemed personal as the shots were gorgeous, but not crisp enough. 

The golden brown couple sat in front of the waves. The man's arm around the woman's shoulders. He was grinning as he answered Kehlani's question about commitment. 

"Not going to lie. When I met Danya, it was hard to commit and slow down. I was young. I was full of lust inside of me. I wanted to experience so many different souls. And she was no different than the rest." 

"You better stop playing, Lloyd." Danya slapped his arm. 

"You were the classic 70s woman. And I was no more special than the average 70s man." 

Kehlani paused the shot. "See, that. It cuts its focus for a few moments." She went in the project and focused in on the clip. "I hired you for this shit. And here I am still doing shit." 

The editor sighed. "I'm sorry, Miss Parrish." He narrowed his eyes on the blunt in her hand. "Can you please put that out so I can focus?" 

"Can you do your job?" Kehlani huffed. Her phone vibrated in her pocket. She knew that it was Solana asking her when she was coming home. She whipped her phone out in annoyance. "Everyone just doesn't know how to leave me alone, huh?" 

The editor rolled his eyes and went on, continuing to edit the film. Kehlani rubbed her temples. Usually she was addicted to work, but her and Solana were having problems as of late. It was half way because of her work ethic. But, also because of Kehlani's doubts on Solana's loyalty. She felt as though the woman of her dreams was cheating. After unlocking her phone with their picture that was taken from the Rolling Loud festival, there was a message for her. 

Sol: im not coming home tonight. dont wait up. 

Kehlani was so used to this. This was the third night this week she was not coming home. She nibbled on her bottom lip while putting the blunt out. "Alright, I'm going home." She got her bookbag from the couch. "Lock up when you're done." 

The editor released a sigh of relief. But, Kehlani felt as though she was going to have to fire him soon, just like the other assistants this month. She walked to her loft that was right around the corner from the office space. Her dog, Astro ran up to her and licked her Doc Martins. She massaged behind his ears as she turned on the jazz CD in the stereo. Closing her eyes, she fell to the sofa. There were still remnants of incense in the air from earlier. The faint smell of sage was there since Solana liked to cleanse the house before she left. 

Keh basically had everything she wanted. The place of her dreams, the woman of her dreams and the job she always aimed for. She was her own boss, calling shots to make glamorous films about love, life and being human. She crossed her legs, rolling her shoulders. She was considering lighting up another blunt to help her sleep since she couldn't sleep without her girl, but when she checked their special can, all the rolling papers were gone. 

"What the fuck," Kehlani sighed. She checked for the weed and there also was none there. "Sol must have lost her damn mind." 

Just then, the door clicked open. Kehlani turned around and saw Solana stumble in. Sighing, Kehlani helped her onto their couch. Kehlani quickly retrieved a blanket to cover her up with. "Thank you, love."