lavender

we hanging like a beautiful painting

sound like my favorite playing radio stations 

pasadena, california. 3:33PM

"Oooo, Baelani. Look at the time. 333." Megan flashed her phone in Kehlani's face. "What that number mean?" 

"333 symbolizes that we're on the right path, baby." 

"You so smart, Lani. Opening up my eyes to different things." 

"You much smarter than I, Miss Health Administration." 

Megan loved how interesting and deep Kehlani was into spirituality things. It fascinated her, but also brought out a different side of her. Though Lani usually like to wear the pants, Megan preferred to be the more dominant, nurturing force in their relationship. 

They were in Pasadena, shopping around for watches and matching J's so they could just be fly together. It made Megan feel...domesticated. Appreciated and loved, for once. She liked being in love, or whatever this was. It was much better than the feeling of just running up a dude's check. Kehlani's hand was on the small of Meg's back. Megan was looking at things with a sparkle in her eye that never existed. Yeah, she liked material things. But, today just seemed so special. 

"This would look so good on you," Megan said, pointing to some BAPE basketball shorts. 

"You just wanna see my ass in some shorts." Kehlani rolled her eyes. "Stop playing, Meg. I own enough shorts like those. Also, fuck I look like in some Bathing Ape?" 

"Sexy," Megan purred. She picked up a hanger. "I'm getting them for you, anyway." 

They settled on some red and black retro 1's and matching Nike tracksuits. Then, they walked to the watch store, which was owned by an old friend of Kehlani's. On their way there, a woman was staring at Kehlani hungrily. Megan made sure to put her arm around Kehlani's shoulders to make sure the woman knew that she was off the market. 

The woman sucked her teeth and rolled her eyes. Kehlani just laughed to herself. "Damn. That's crazy." 

"You know who that was?" 

"An old friend."  

Megan rolled her eyes. "You and these old friends." 

"Baby, you know I was no good before I met you." 

"You no good now," Megan sighed. "Did you sleep with her?" 

"I fucked a couple shawties after Solana, so I don't remember-" 

"So, if we were to-" 

"Baby, I ain't ending shit with you. Let's just get these Rollies and leave." Kehlani opened the door to the shop. "You goin' in  or nah, Ma?" 

"Ma?" Megan snapped. She did not like Kehlani's attitude now. It was dismissive, something she was used to hearing in the dudes she used to deal with."I don't like that name." 

"Sorry, baby." Kehlani sighed. 

Megan walked into the store. Kehlani held her wrist, gently rubbing her thumb. "Give me a reason why I should trust your ass. Please. Cause I know you used to be out here with all these girls and when shit gets rough, you love to run away." 

"Girl, you like spending racks when you pressed. How can I trust you?" Kehlani asked. "I ain't fumbling shit. I'm loyal when I want you. These girls are like...jokes to me at this point. I scoff at them because they want your spot. You can't let these little shawties envy you. I'm buying you want they want. I'm giving you what they want. Stop sweating me, boo." 

Megan kept her lips closed, knowing that Kehlani is telling the truth. She greeted her friend and started staring at blue-faced watches with 24-karat diamonds in them. Megan was surprised at how Kehlani handled her, considering there was a height difference between the two. Plus, she commanded attention and knew who she was going home to. Even though they never really put a title on what they were.  

Kehlani's eyes stopped staring at the glittering watches for a moment to stare up at Megan. "You good?" 

"Mmmhmm," Megan said, trying to sound like she held the reins for a moment, but her voice cracked. Damn. Keh broke the stallion just like that. 

+

Kehlani called a car to help with the 8 bags they got from the outdoor shopping mall. A Bentley truck pulled up and assisted them. The driver placed the bags carefully in the trunk, everything from Gucci to Rolex. 

Kehlani helped Megan into the back of the truck and then she climbed in. She turned her phone on personal mode so that no one texted her, well the ones who were not supposed to be texting her. A lot of people liked to ask her for things they weren't supposed to at this time. Seeing old one night stands made her heart pump loud in her ears and she hated that feeling. 

"Baby, I'm sorry for not trusting you," Megan said. "I am going to work on that. You know I ain't used to this relationship thing." 

"I know." Kehlani nodded, understandingly. She licked her lips. "You just gotta believe me, boo. I really do got you." 

"Keh, I love you. And you just drive me fucking crazy." 

Kehlani had not heard those words in a while. It sounded so different coming from Megan. She was not sure if she trusted those words, she was scared of that word. But, it sounded so beautiful and true. "I love you too, shawty." 

"Say it again." 

Kehlani looked at the divider in the Bentley, making sure it was up. "What?" 

"Say you love me." Megan stared deep into Kehlani's eyes like how she did the first time they met. She felt those butterflies swarm in her stomach again. "Say it like you mean it and I'm not one of those bubble-headed bitches you dealt with." 

"Haha...I love you, Megan Pete." Kehlani said before kissing her. "I deadass do."