breakfast at tyler's

touch & go// i'm too emotional

Tijuana, Mexico. 10:10AM

Megan woke up alone in Kehlani's bed. There was a faint smell of french toast and cinnamon apples that made her stomach growl. Laughter came from outside. Megan looked around the single area for Kehlani. From the bedroom to the tiny balcony. She should have known that girl was an early bird. 

Megan crept to her bedroom next door to shower and slide some clothes on. Alyssa was still knocked out, thankfully. She did not need to hear the judgment this morning. She felt too good. After sliding on a cute sundress and some sandals, she decided to wear her natural hair today. She knew Kehlani would appreciate it. Why was she putting so much effort in someone that did not even put a claim on her yet? She didn't know. She walked to the dining room to see Kehlani singing to everyone while finishing up breakfast. It warmed her heart. She smiled warmly until she saw another curly haired woman joining in on the duet. She was gorgeous and staring at Kehlani a little too adoringly. 

"Good morning," Megan decided to intrude. 

Tyler choked on his orange juice and smiled. "Oh shit, what's up Meg. Meg meet Zen, Zen meet Meg." 

Kehlani looked down and continued making everyone's plates. That set Megan off, but she kept her composure. No good morning or anything after all that had happened last night? Oh hell no. Zendaya reached out her hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Megan. Kehlani's told me plenty about you." 

"Charmed. But, what did she say?" Megan asked, trying not to glare. She ignored Zen's hand. 

"That you were an aspiring star for her project and a muse." She didn't look at Megan as a threat like the other woman. She was tall as well. Her energy was very calm and unbothered. "It's been awhile since she's been this creative. I remember when I was the one in her spotlight." 

"Zendaya's a popular model. She's from Oakland but based in Europe," Tyler coughed. "She used to act a little bit before she left us for across the pond." 

"I miss Oakland. I was thinking of coming back..." Zen looked at Kehlani. Her attention was clearly not on anyone else in the room. "What do you think I should do?" 

"You doing good in Europe, right?" Kehlani asked, handing her a plate. "It ain't the same. I'm leaving." 

"Where are you going? Other areas in Cali are promising now?" 

"I guess. I'm just going to San Fran." 

"Where at?" 

"It ain't none of your business, anymore," Kehlani snapped. 

Tyler swallowed. Destin awkwardly shuffled in his seat. Megan was wondering what happened between the two. Kehlani slammed everyone's plates on the table. Zendaya widened her eyes and laughed. "So, Tyler...what was your purpose of inviting me here?" 

Kehlani laughed in anger. "I know you didn't pull this shit, T."  Megan's facial expression softened once she noticed what went down. Clearly, this Zen person was not like any of the other strays she had met. She took Kehlani's hand and took her outside. She knew she didn't need to be in the house right now. She pulled the keys to the rented Range Rover her and Alyssa had gotten to make their way here. Kehlani sighed heavily. "Where are we going, Meg?" 

"Somewhere," Megan said. "Let's just drive around the estate. You can talk to me about whatever is on your mind." 

Kehlani sighed. "I was wondering why that nigga kept asking about her." 

"Is she the ex?" 

Kehlani shook her head. "Zen and I fucked around back when I was starting out. She was my first love, I guess. I push her down in my mind. Nobody really hurt me like she did. She literally walked away with my heart when she boarded that plan without telling me. No letters, no texts. I used to have to walk around hearing her name on the streets and seeing her face plastered all over social media. And then no shit. Tyler tells me she got all these letters. I ain't seen them shits. Why now?" 

Megan was not sure on how to comfort Kehlani. She got behind the wheel. Kehlani got in the passenger seat. "Are you over her?" 

Kehlani looked out the window. 

"If you're not, it's cool if you need some time to think about your feelings. I just don't want to be strung along if that's what's up." 

"I just want to know how come every woman I get with, I'm never enough. It's always someone else having to satisfy their craving. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong." 

"What do you think it is?" 

"Megan, I don't know. But, if we do cross the line, I want to be only yours." 

Megan was not sure how to respond to that. She knew what Kehlani meant but she was worried if she could even offer her that amount of loyalty. Like, yes, she may be able to. But, that amount of hurt and distrust was a burden to a certain extent. She never experienced something so intense. Kehlani licked her lips. "Look. We don't have to go for a drive. I appreciate you. But, I'm gonna go back to my room and work on some shit."

"If you need anything, bang my line." 

"I'm chilling." Kehlani got out the car and left. Tyler was standing on the lawn with Zendaya. Megan stayed in the car to watch the interaction. Tyler, of course seemed like he was trying to apologize. Zendaya tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, which seemed to make Kehlani ticked off even more. Megan rolled down the window to hear the exchange. 

"Bro, you ain't cool for that. That was some manipulative shit you pulled!" Kehlani yelled. 

"Man, man...nah. It wasn't like that." Tyler sighed. 

"Then what was it?" 

"I just wanted to see you again," Zen said. "I had to." 

"Fuck the both of you!" Kehlani stomped into the house. Zendaya told Tyler to stay back as she followed. 

Megan curled her lip down, wondering what was going to happen tonight. Her day started off interesting. It felt like it was going to go down hill from here.