past mistakes

i wish we could run to the sun and never come back

Oakland, CA. 3:30AM

"What the fuck?" Alyssa asked as she and Megan waited for their Uber. "What does that even mean, Meg?"

Megan and Alyssa were on the way back to their luxury apartment complex from the club. The night was quite interesting for the both of them. Alyssa had broke up with Koy over the fact that he was cheating. His side chick showed up to the club with a knife, but Alyssa made sure she was not touched since the bouncers were already guarding the dressing room. Megan also encountered Kehlani, who said the most weirdest things ever. She swore she was either high or drunk or a combination of both. Or maybe she was just being straight up in her approach for this film. 

Meg thought about the paper for her last college course she had to finish before Alyssa snapped her fingers to grab her attention. She was exhausted. After Kehlani left, she was slightly pissed because of her home girl that was grilling her. What did Kehlani see in the women she dated for her to be fucking up so often? 

"She basically said I was very beautiful and lots of people would be blinded by that,"  Megan finally answered after rubbing her eyes. "Think about how you were blinded by Koy's hoodness when you decided to get with him." 

"Who?" Alyssa asked. 

Megan rolled her eyes. "Don't act all dumb on me now. You just broke up with him 2 hours ago." 

Alyssa clucked her tongue as the Genesis pulled up for them. They climbed into the backseat. The female driver confirmed the address of the building and they drove off. 

"I don't know what I saw in Koy, for real. He was just another tall ass nigga with some tatts and a glock. But, he ain't really about the street life. He had 2 baby mamas and he worked at UPS. I wondered how he got associated with someone like Tyrone....I wonder if Tyrone single." 

Megan recalled his allegiance and love to the money the night he drove her home and laughed. "What you need to do is stop picking up people at work." 

"That's how you know who got the real money and who don't though, Meg," Alyssa said. "He must have been flexing his tax money or brought out all that from his savings account. After our first date, he settled for buying me shit from Nordstrom Rack. The fuck I look like? I want him to spend his rent on me but he spends it on his little ass 1990 Porsche." 

Megan sighed, looking out the window and the palm trees. She often wondered how she ended up in a city like Oakland from Houston, Texas. She was chasing a dream. A very big dream. California was the wave when she graduated high school. She ended up picking up a community college course  in San Francisco until she was able to go to UC. She met Alyssa, who was working at a shoe store at the time. They both bonded over wanting to get big names for themselves and soon began working at the Hot Girl Club to invest into their dreams. It felt like she was still scraping the surface, though. 

They both wanted people who matched their ambition, however Megan was set on not being loyal until she found the one. That person had to have racks, their own house, 2 cars, and possibly a retirement plan set. The money would definitely be a requirement but love was a plus. She basically knew she craved a business partner more than an actual romantic one. Sometimes, she wished Alyssa was a little fruity, but she wasn't. Though she was boy crazy, her mindset on life was more focused than any of the other women in the club. 

Once the driver parked in front of the building, Megan opened the door and stepped out, covering her body with a shawl she got from Rodeo drive when she first visited LA. Alyssa unlocked the door for her and they strutted in. The doorman was snoozing while a rerun of The Sopranos was on the little TV before him. Alyssa got on the elevator and pressed her floor while Megan pressed hers. 

"So, you really gonna follow through with this girl movie?" Alyssa asked.  

Megan nodded. "I'm actually interested in seeing what this character has to offer. Also, I'm waiting for Ty to hit me up with his music so I can talk to the DJ about it." 

"You moving up, Miss Girl," Alyssa purred merrily, slapping Megan's butt. 

Megan laughed. Once they got to the 10th floor, they hugged good night. Megan walked to her apartment on the 12th floor. She opened her door to once again, flowers. Only this time, yellow roses. Kehlani's camp must love pulling through with the stops. She opened up the card, only this time, it was not from Kehlani. 

para mi stallion. estoy en tu ciudad

-benito

That was a name she didn't see in a long time. Benito and Megan were not really a couple, but they had a time together. He was a concert promoter from Puerto Rico who usually frequented California when he felt like it. He actually helped Megan get her apartment and even tried to buy her a car, but she refused that. She missed him very much because he was a good friend. She wondered what made him come back. He was probably promoting one of his acts or something. Her phone vibrated in her purse and she reached to see that it was Kehlani. 

Kehlani: u up? 

Who did this girl think she was asking such a vile question? But, of course Megan answered. 

Yeah 

Kehlani: where u live at? i wanna apologize to u 

For? 

Kehlani: Bringing T to the club. 

How so? 

Kehlani: we gonna get some ice cream. 

Ice cream. At 4am? Megan did not feel like leaving her comfortable pillow top mattress and anime plushies. Plus, this paper she had due was calling her by her whole government name. But, seeing Kehlani again was very tempting. 

Kehlani: u can't refuse. where u at? 

Meg typed her address. 

Kehlani: sweet. you around the corner from me. 

Megan widened her eyes. She slid into something cute yet comfortable and rubbed 4oe behind his ears as he slept peacefully in his doggie bed. She walked downstairs to see Kehlani already pulling up in a drop top Ferrari. Oh....Miss Lani had money money. 

"What's good, boo?" Kehlani asked. 

You are, was what Megan wanted to say, but she was not that eager to show off how attracted she was to her now. They were meeting outside the club so the seductive persona was put up back into the closet. Instead, she answered how Megan would answer and not Thee Stallion. "

" Let's just go before I change my mind."