still over it

i got that tiger eye

jumping through the flame

make you feel alive

keep you entertained 

ain't no bullseye

Oakland, CA. 12:23 PM

"Love is like one of the most interesting things on this planet. I literally don't understand how someone can just fall for another person, submit to them, even if they are a man or masculine spirit. Love is what destroys people. Brings people apart. Keeps them close, but brings out the worst in them." 

Kehlani stared emptily at the interviewee on the camera. She was hired to film an interview with a writer from the Bay Area and a journalist from USC. She made sure the warm colors accented the two people before her in the breezy, pending fall air. It was a perfect day to film with the sun in the sky, no clouds in sight. 

The journalist returned a warm smile to the writer as he listened intently to the speech on how love was such a powerful thing. Kehlani did not read the book that he had written, but it was definitely on her bookshelf. Maybe that would help with the film she was attempting to write. The script was still sitting in Microsoft Word, waiting to be worked on. She was avoiding it like the plague due to her writer's block. Plus, who wanted to work on a love story anyway? Love was exhaustive. But, she loved someone. That was new. 

Kehlani was still registering what it meant to love someone, what it meant to love Megan. Megan was different from Sol and Zen. She walked into a room, not just getting respect, but demanding respect. She had hella confidence that threatened her ego, a little bit. She loved her for that because sometimes it was pressing to be with someone who just needed her, she wanted to need them too. Kehlani loved needing Megan. It felt like second nature. Even though they spent the summer together playing games, they finally settled. It felt right. 

One thing was missing, though. 

Megan got insecure at times, though she was firm in herself. It was only to Kehlani she expressed her doubts. Maybe that was because Keh had not formally asked Megan to be her girl, despite them basically living together. Megan was sleeping in Kehlani's bed, showering with the hot water Kehlani paid for, and everything. They were basically in a commonlaw marriage. 

"When did you find out you were in love with your current husband?" the journalist asked, holding his question card. 

"When I noticed that he had imperfections just like me and I accepted them. Right off the bat. I couldn't judge her for her pain because I had my own, you know? And I knew that even though we had our past, our future was more precious to us. Our present is what is more important. That's what people need to learn." The author laughed and looked into the camera. "You got that? That's the big lesson here." 

Kehlani smirked and gave a thumbs up. 

Okay, the author was right. In order to have a future with Megan, Kehlani had to stop wondering and projecting her past onto her. Those insecurities were just scars from the past. They both dealt with unkind hearts and they did not need to continue that trend. Kehlani just hoped that she'd be the ideal partner for her. 

After wrapping up the session, the author approached Kehlani. She turned around after packing up her tripods and cameras. The author reached out her hand. "Thank you for doing this. Truly appreciate it." 

"No problem," Kehlani nodded. 

"Listen," the author held her hands behind her back and jutted forward. She looked enthusiastic but a little nervous. "I was wondering. I've seen your films that you wrote and directed. I'm not sure if you've touched a copy of Missunderstood yet, but I wanted a favor if you're not working on anything big right now." 

Kehlani furrowed her brow. "Go on." 

"I was wondering if you could co-write and produce a film for my book. I feel like you'd be the perfect individual for it." 

Kehlani's jaw almost dropped. The Queen Naija was asking her to direct a film for her amazing book? The book she had not even read yet? She almost fell over in shock. This was a sign from the universe that maybe things come in ways, instead of just forcing it. "Y-yes, ma'am!" She would definitely have to get into reading but wow. 

"Great! I'll get you in touch with my writing camp. I also know you have a casting agen-" 

"I already know people. I'll take care of you. I was looking for an opportunity to make a new film. Thank you so much!" Kehlani was relaxed. Now the stress of finding a story to build from the ground up was in front of her. Writing with Queen was going to be a joy. She was already familiar with the short stories she wrote for some local magazines, so she knew how dope her pen could be. 

"Thank you, Lani. This is a blessing. I'm looking forward to the magic we're going to make!" she said, while giving Kehlani a big hug. 

"Thank you."

+

9:43PM

"We missed you being in the club," Alyssa said to Megan, as she did her eyebrows in the mirror. 

The Golf Gentleman's Club was packed since Megan was doing her return show after weeks of not being there. Megan had to be sure to look good, so she wore a fit Kehlani picked for the occasion. This was the first time a partner was secure with her working as a stripper. She was wearing a custom made bodice from a private tailor with some thigh high Saint Laurent boots. She was walking like money and a glittery bracelet was on her wrist. Megan flipped her tresses as she dabbed eyeshadow on her eyelids. "I missed y'all too." 

Alyssa watched as Megan got ready. "You ain't been home in like a while. I knocked on your door the other day." 

"It's because I was with Baelani." 

"You still dealing with her?" Alyssa asked. "That's why you ain't answering me no more?" 

"Girl, you used to go months without being home, racked up at some nigga's mom's house or his rented air bnb. Do not play with me, Latto." 

Alyssa rolled her eyes. "Yeah, but you're being kept. And well, I did invite Dolla-" 

Megan's mouth went sour and she chuckled uncomfortably. "You invited Ty to the club?" 

"Well, he already knew your comeback show was tonight-" 

"Keh's coming tonight too. Alyssa...if a fight breaks out...Kehlani don't want me on no nigga and me and Ty have...sexual history." 

Alyssa laughed and folded her arms across her chest. "So, why you tripping? Does Kehlani call you her girlfriend yet?" 

Megan showed her fit and gestured to the expensive diamond bracelet on her wrist. "Kehlani dropped a bag on me-" 

"Don't mean shit. I know niggas in here that could put you in a condo out in Casablanca or Bel Air." 

"Latto, I love Keh." 

"We don't love these niggas or bitches, Megan. And nobody's ever gonna love us really if we out here still showing our ass. She loves her perception of you. The lust. The thrill-" 

"Don't play with me, Latto. I'm gonna go out here and look good on the pole tonight and go home with Kehlani. Ty's getting ignored tonight." Megan capped her lipstick after applying it to her lips. "And that's on the whole damn city of Houston, Texas."