jealous

"So she's a video vixen?"

Kehlani turned to Hayley's perturbed tone. "Pardon?" She watched as Tyrone showed her the buttons in the rented car. She looked so amused and it bothered Kehlani.

Hayley smirked. "She is a video vixen."

"Fuck is you doing here anyway, ma?" Kehlani asked.

Hayley leaned in and kissed Kehlani's forehead. "The Mariott was infested with druggies and it flooded. I was worried about the Balenciaga sneakers you bought me for my birthday."

Kehlani rolled her eyes. "It's just niggas you don't know here."

"I've known Tyler since he was fucking boys in the locker room and kissing that white girl from San Fran. I also know Rakim from writing camp."

"Yeah but Hayley...you barely like Rocky or Tyler. So what the fuck you want?"

Hayley smiled so her dimples could show. "To apologize for being a pussy."

Kehlani kept her eyes on Megan. "Hayl, I forgive you but I haven't the time to talk."

"You like her, don't you?" Hayley asked. "Does she know?"

Kehlani licked her lips and shook her head. "I only known her for a few weeks. Like is kind of a strong word."

"Girls like her can draw you in. Pick you apart. Suck you dry like Solana did." Hayley sucked her teeth. "You want some more garbage like her? She literally climbs a pole to make her money."

"At least she has money," Kehlani snapped. "Solana had two pennies in her pocket and free pussy."

"She made you wait awhile."

"Sol gave it up the moment she sat on my couch," Kehlani said. "Anyway. I'm working. Yo! Taco, get the camera back up for me. We gonna start up." She stood up and took a sip of her organic frappucino from Starbucks. "Hayl, you staying or you dipping?"

"I guess I'll be hopping on the next bus to Santa Monica." She smiled sadly. "Looks like my reason to stay here doesn't want me around."

Kehlani shrugged. "Bye. You don't bother me."

"But, I was always your what if."

"A what if is a simple hypothesis, I tested it out and I didn't like the result. Get the fuck out my face, shawty."

Hayley sighed as she walked away. Tyler furrowed his brow as he took off his baseball cap. "Keh, what the fuck happened?"

"I don't know." Kehlani kicked a rock on the grass.

Tyler coughed as he scratched his cheetah-print dyed hair. "Why you keep fucking your friends, homes?"

"Fucking them?"

"Nah. When you fuck, you make love Keh. I know you. I never been in your bedroom, but every woman I seen left your space since back in the day, has left with a smug look on her face. If you gonna be out here thotting, stop pulling out the Big Daddy Strapalicious/Tongue-a-thon champion work and give them a sneak peek. Just like how Zen taught you."

Kehlani winced at the name "Zen". That was a name she barely heard anymore. Ever since she left for Paris, things have not been the same. She was another one of those "what ifs". But, Kehlani learned her lesson. No more fucking platonic soulmates. "Zen ain't teach me shit but pain, man."

"i see how you staring at Megan." Tyler curled his lip. "Just know that is a hard woman to please."

"Maybe I wanna chase that," Kehlani said quietly to herself. She did not want to admit it. Megan was looking good and she knew she wanted her the moment she saw her in the sunrise. Tired. Curly-haired. Tall. Now, she was sitting really pretty next to Tyrone. As the tape rolled, so did Kehlani's temper. Watching her with Ty did something. Did she really want her?

After the day ended, Megan walked up to Kehlani and smiled sweetly. Keh was unsure on how to react, her heart pounding in her chest. She was grown as hell. Why was she acting so unsure? "Thanks for today. It was very dope to film with you. I'm looking forward to hearing from you for this next project." Megan held out her hand. 

Kehlani looked down at it and chuckled softly. "No problem, Megan." 

"See, that wasn't so hard not to call me 'shawty'. That's some character development. You need to stop trying to seduce your cast." Megan laughed. "It's cool, boo. I know I'm fine." 

Ty slid up behind Megan. He put his arm around her shoulder. "You ready, mamas?" 

Kehlani kept her tongue in her cheek as she helped the crew pack up the chairs and cameras and lights for the day. Megan and Tyrone walked away to the car used in the video. Looks like the story will be continuing for his song. She swore Tyrone was a player and had no intentions on romancing. The way he held her hand and looked at her bothered her. She needed to focus on other things. Other things that were not a woman. 

Tyler opened the driver's seat of the rented van for her after they finished up for the day. "Bro, you seem off right now. I know it ain't because of Hayley or Sol." 

"Man...I don't fucking know what's going on." 

"Just tell me you like Megan. I'll help you out."

"She strictly business-" 

"Bro. What's my name?" 

"Tyler...ain't no way in hell I'm getting a woman that perfect." 

"Not right now with your issues. We going to Mexico for two weeks for a creative residency. Pack up a bag. We need to get you out that stuffy ass loft. Get Astrid groomed. You need to change up the scene. And I'll be taking Megan with us." 

"Wait..." Kehlani raised an eyebrow. "The fuck do you have up your sleeve?" 

"Don't worry about it." 

"Where we staying?" 

"La Casa de Wolf. My studio. You're going to write and shoot your greatest piece there. I'm not taking no for an answer." 

"And what's Megan's purpose?" 

"She's gonna find out." 

"Tyler..." 

"You gonna stop acting like a little school girl and approach her as a woman. I taught you better than this but you kept letting her slip through your fingers." 

Kehlani acknowledged that maybe she did need to do that. She was worried that someone better would probably beat her to the punch. Especially right now since Ty stole her right from under her nose. She was supposed to be focused on her , but that was not what was happening. Megan had knocked her off her feet. And she had it bad. 

But, who falls for people that fast? There was a dull ache in her heart. It was like that spot for Solana immediately was removed. Kehlani started the van and began driving down the street. She turned on the radio to hear an old Lauryn Hill song. She tapped her fingers on the steering wheel. She saw the curb that her and Megan ate ice cream at that one day. A small smile crept across her lips.