The facial and the fairy lights

Chapter 50

The news reporters were already at the hospital, when the couple arrived.

Shrimayi had insisted on coming alone. She knew how awkward the whole situation was for her husband.

Shreerang was never fond of Anvay so she wasn't willing to put him through the torture of seeing the latter.

He suprised her with his willingness to join.

She shot him a worried look as soon as she noticed the journalists gathered outside.

"Let's go home."Her tone was all defeated.

But he wasn't going to let her leave without seeing the love of her life.

He knew he was torturing himself but he also had a first hand experience of how it felt to let the person you love the most,suffer through pain alone.

He was going to get her into that hospital by hook or by crook.

Soon an idea struck him.

"Let's go through the backdoor."He said and grabbed her hand.

The guard was napping in bright day light so there was no hassle at all.

Soon they were ascending the stairs which served as an emergency exit.

She was lost in pool of negative thoughts and missed a step. She closed her eyes in an anticipation of the fall but it never happened.

He was quick to support her.

"Are you able to walk on your own?"He asked gently. His voice was laced with worry.

She nodded meekly but he wasn't going to take any chance.

"Hold onto me."He said and put her arm in the crook of his elbow.

She held onto him and they together they ascended the rest of the steps.

As soon as the reception came into view, Shrimayi was rushing towards it alone.

"I want to meet Anvay Manchanda."She demanded huffing and puffing a little.

"Are you a relative?"The lady at reception asked in a clipped voice.

"I am .."She stopped falling short for a response.

She felt her husband's presence behind her.

"We are old friends."He explained, coming to her rescue.

"I am still not sure if you could meet him."The lady said shrugging off her shoulder.

Suddenly her face twitched in some sort of recognition.

"Oh! Mrs. Manchanda is here. May be she can tell you about his status."The receptionist told them. She seemed so eager to wash her hands of them.

Shrimayi turned around and found Anvay's mother.

Mrs. Manchanda was busy on a call.

She approached her, with Shreerang in tow.

"Is he okay?"She asked impatiently.

Mrs. Manchanda hadn't noticed her before but she did, once she heard the familiar voice. She ended her phone call right away.

"What are you doing here?"She snarled.

"Please tell me if he is okay."Shrimayi repeated.

"Stop your drama. Why are you even here? To see if he has died or not. Wasn't breaking his heart enough? Now you want to trample on it too?"The woman said, holding Shrimayi roughly by shoulders.