The marathon runners

Chapter 10

Shrimayi and Shreerang, both wanted to keep the marriage ceremony a small affair.

But parents don't acknowledge the concept of them, do they?

They kept bargaining with set of theirs about the wedding arrangements. Finally their parents agreed to invite only fifty people outside their family and relatives. So the total almost shot upto hundred guests.

They were getting married at Shrimayi villa. The wedding preparation had sent her into an internal panic mode. The other day, she was passing by some marathon sprinters on her way to the wedding attire shopping and she envied them. She wanted to join along and never return.

But now she was legally bound by the contract she had signed just a week ago.

She had also met his parents once who sounded like nice people. But what she had to do with their good qualities anyway?

It wasn't like she was going to consider them her in laws for lifetime. She had also come to know about Shreerang's elder sister Devyani who was settled in Dubai with her husband Kapil and a three year old son Rutuj. She was flying down to Mumbai in the next few days.

He also had a maternal grandmother who wasn't keeping well and was unable to attend the wedding due to her health issues.

Currently Her family members were discussing about the return gift for the guests when she barged inside their living room. She had been summoned here by her Mother. She soon noticed that it wasn't only her family members in the room. They were joined by her In-laws and their beloved son as well, over a video call.

"We should give them gold coins." Her Aunt Netra suggested in her overexcited tone.

"It's a good idea." Her soon to be mother-in-law replied matching her aunt's enthusiasm.

Shrimayi's dad gestured her to join him on the couch and she did.

Shreerang and her eyes met for a brief moment through the laptop screen but she averted them quickly.

"Guys we want this marriage ceremony to be simple. Please keep that in mind."  He reminded everyone present on the call.

The parents shook their heads in helplessness and then everyone started brainstorming again.

"Gotya give some suggestion. You know more about contemprory gift ideas. You are always on that Interest app."  Her Uncle Rishi talked to his daughter.

The latter excused herself from the book and looked at everyone else in the room and finally decided to answer her dad. 

"It's Pinterest dad and sorry i have a test in my tuition classes tomorrow. Need to study for that."

She got up and soon went inside her room.

Shrimayi itched to tell her cousin everything about her marriage but couldn't.

Her reverie was broken when she heard someone calling her name.

"Shrimayi why don't you suggest something."Shreerang's mother insisted.

"How about we gift them a surprise box that says the wedding is cancelled and it was just a prank."She joked.

But it didn't bode well with her fiancé. He was shooting daggers at her as he sat in the corner of the bed while her In laws laughed their hearts out thinking it was some joke.

She pretended to laugh along with them.

Her mother slapped her arm lightly which assured her that the former definitely shared Shreerang's sentiments about her gift idea.