The displaced anger

Chapter 12

"Aai you are not helping at all. I should have stuck to that useless you tube video instead."Shrimayi sulked earning a glare from her mother through the screen.

She was talking to her mother over a video call. The latter was helping her to drape a saree and it would be a clear lie to say that they were succeeding in the task at hand.

"Maya you are not listening to my directions properly. The pleats are most important aspect in the process of saree draping. Just look how messy the ones you made look."Sumitra complained for the umpteenth time.

"That's the best i can do."Her daughter argued.

"You want your saree to get undone while you have company of the guests."She said trying to make her listen to her instructions properly this time.

"Aai do you remember the movie we saw together where she goes for paragliding and the saree flies away."Shrimayi said breaking into hysterical laughter.

"That was paragliding at the Goa beach. This is Satyanarayan Puja. Wait why am i even wasting time talking about some random movie. Hurry up the puja will start any minute."Her mother reminded her.

"Fine."

Shrimayi made a face and started following her mother instructions again.

She thought she would definitely nail the elusive art this time but she was so wrong.

"Aai , I could ask Shreerang's mother to help me."She suggested thinking her mother would finally agree but the latter shot her a death glare instead.

"Don't say your husband's name like that. It's a typical maharashtrian household. I don't want you to offend your mother-in-law in any way. And what did you just address her as?

Shreerang's mother huh?

She is your mother-in-law. Get used to addressing her properly everytime you mention her. And what would she think if you ask her for help? That i didn't even teach you how to drape a saree. Just because she is nice i don't want you to take her for granted."

Her mother's lecture ticked her off.

"I only have one mother and it's you. She might be kind but i seriously don't care about what she thinks of me or my upbringing."She spat earning another glare from her mother. She might have said more than she should but her sleepless state was the major reason behind her current sour attitude. Plus her mother's constant talk about how she was supposed to play an ideal housewife and daughter-in-law irked her to no end.

"Maya it's high time you quit your old ways."

"Are you done lecturing me Aai?"She asked almost on the verge of crying. She was already feeling out of place and her mother's latest outburst had made her feel even worse.

"Start making the pleats."Her mother jumped straight to the point.

Shrimayi started again but her mother wasn't happy with the end product.

"Maya it's just not right."She said shaking her head.

"Chuck it. I am not wearing this."She huffed letting go of the fabric she had pleated for so many times over and over again.

"Maya it's a Puja. Wear a saree. Don't even think of any other options."Her mother warned her.

That was the last straw.

"I can't okay. I give up."She said exasperated.

"Please don't do this. You are not Shrimayi Paranjpe anymore. You have duties and roles to carry out now. C'mon. Wear a saree and attend the puja. Show all of them that you belong there. You are an ideal daughter-in-law."Her mother tried to talk some sense into her.