Mate is Forever

To say that Mikhail was angry would be an understatement. When Victor came through the door still holding me with Luca and Sarafina in tow there was a lot of growling and snarling, and overall angry werewolf gestures. Gideon was practically ready to rip everyone’s head off when we explained that Sasha was still back at the club with Eris. Luckily Elena was there to calm everyone down and be the voice of reason in the situation. All I wanted to do was go up to my bed and sleep because I was exhausted from all the stress. 

I was thankful when Mikhail excused us from the room, and by us I mean Sarafina, Luca and I. I sighed once the big door closed behind us. “You werewolves have some serious anger management problems.” Luca comments sardonically. I look to him with a straight face, “This coming from the guy who told me he had planned to chop me up piece by piece like he was talking about the weather—“ Sarafina chuckles at my comment but remains quiet. He looks between both of us, “What? I said I changed my mind about that.” I roll my eyes before I start heading towards the stairs happily imagining my bed. 

When I sense someone’s presence behind me I look over my shoulder to see Luca following behind me. I raise an eyebrow, “What do you think you’re doing?” He looks at me with amusement, “I’m following you.” 

“Yeah I can see that captain obvious. Why?” I question him feeling annoyed. He raised an eyebrow, “Because I told you I was going to protect you.” I laugh at him not even trying to hold it back, “Yeah, and I appreciate that but I’m pretty sure I’m safe in here.” I motion to the space around us. He tilts his head to the side thoughtfully and I turn away from him shaking my head. After a couple more steps I realize that he is still following me and I frown before spinning back around to face him, “Seriously? Are you going to follow me to the bathroom and hold my hand while I piss?” 

He makes a disgusted face for a moment, “No need to be vulgar.” 

I swear I contemplate pushing him down the stairs for a moment but think better of it. Instead I let out an exasperated sigh before I turn and march myself to my bedroom knowing he is going to follow me no matter what I say to him. When we reach my bedroom door I turn and face him, “If you’re really set on this protection detail thing then by all means, but you’ll do it out here. My bedroom is off limits to the likes of you.” I say dryly. He nods his head and smirks a bit, “As you wish, but if you get bored or lonely you know where to find me.” He winks. 

I roll my eyes, “Yeah, I’ll remember that.” I say sarcastically as I open my door and throw myself through the door before slamming it shut behind me. My eyes roam over the room and find the bed. I could cry I’m so happy to see it. I race toward it flinging my body out onto it and smiling brightly as I am met with the softness of the mattress under my body, “You’re the only one who truly loves me.” I say as I close my eyes and welcome the sleep my exhausted body is wants so badly. 

I don’t know how long I was asleep for but I am woken up from my sleep by the sound of angry voices. I groan and try to pull myself back into sleep but after another minute or so of the angry muttering I’ve had enough. I push myself up off the bed and hobble over to the door still half asleep. I open the door quickly very annoyed to be disturbed during my sleep, “What the hell is going on now?” I snap as look to see Luca and Victor standing almost neck and neck with each other. 

They both ease up slightly, “Well?” I snap wanting to hear the good reason for why they have woken me up. 

“Your boyfriend wanted into your room and I told him to come back later. He didn’t appreciate that.” Luca says crossing his arms over his chest. Victor glares down at him before looking over to me with a slightly guilty look in his eyes, “I just wanted to speak with you for a minute.” 

“Yeah well obviously she was sleeping. You could have just waited until she woke up.” Luca says and Victor growls low at his words. I roll my eyes, “You!” I say pointing at Luca, “Next time just let him through. He’s the exception to everything unless I say otherwise.” Luca nods his head but glares at Victor. “And You!” I reach out with my hand and grab onto Victor shirt, “Don’t ever wake me up when I’m sleeping unless you think you’re dying!” I pull him into my room with little effort slamming the door shut. 

I walk back over to the bed not caring at the moment and throw myself back down onto it. I adjust myself so that I am now laying on the inside of the queen bed laying on my back. Victor is quiet for a minute and I close my eyes, “Did you come here to watch me sleep? Or did you want to talk to me about whatever it is that you wanted to talk to me about?” I ask him. I listen as his footsteps approach the bed and then it dips as he gets onto it. I don’t say anything to him as he pulls himself up and lays down on the bed next to me, “I missed you—“ He says in the silence after a couple of minutes. 

My heart soars at his words but I try to keep my feelings to myself, “That’s nice.” I say coldly. I can tell he’s turned onto his side and is looking at me, “I’m sorry about marking—“ I interrupt him, “You already said that.” He growls slightly in frustration, “Will you let me finish?” I open my eyes and turn my head towards him but remain quiet. 

“I’m sorry for how I marked you, not that I marked you.” He says sharply. 

Well, that was unexpected. I feel my wolf yip with excitement inside of me thinking that possibly my mate might actually want me after all. I turned my whole body now so that I was facing him on the bed, “You really have a funny way of showing that then.” I can see that he’s frowning at my words, “I know—“ He lets out a breath, “This isn’t something that I wanted for myself Lex. I thought if I ever found my mate that I would just ignore the bond because I didn’t want to have mate and part of me still doesn’t but—“ 

“But?” I question. 

“But I didn’t realize how it would feel to actually have a mate. In theory it would be so easy to walk away from you but in actuality it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done staying away from you like I have.” I stare at him openly not caring if it bothers him. He continues to talk to me, “My every instinct is screaming at me to be with you. To make you mine in every way.” I suck in a breath at his words.

“I don’t know if I can be mates like you deserve—I don’t want to lie to you, ever. But I am willing to try—“ He reaches out across the small distance between us and puts his hand on my cheek sending hot fire tingles through my body. I didn’t even know what mates were until about a week ago or so and to find out I had one was and is still overwhelming. I still don’t think I have grasped it but it’s hard to ignore this fire that burns inside of me every time he’s around.  When I don't say anything I sense his nervousness, "If you want that is..." 

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try. I mean we’re mates after all and from what I’ve been told mates are forever.” He let out a soft chuckle that dances over me and makes me feel giddy with excitement. He runs his hand down my cheek to my neck and the touches the place where he marked me. I gasp a little at the feeling that races through me and his eyes become like spotlights in the dark room, “Forever…” He whispers huskily to me.