A History of Things

When I woke up again I knew that I was alone in the bed. Victor must have left sometime during the night after I had fallen back asleep. The thought of him brings blush to my cheeks. I can’t believe that he said he was willing to try and be my mate. I push myself up out of bed with a groan when there is a soft tap on my bedroom door. 

“Who is it?” I call out. 

“The love of your life!” Luca calls back to me mockingly. I turn my head towards the door with a frown. I slowly make my way to the door opening it to find him leaning against the doorway, “What do you want?” I ask dryly, “I’m still mad about you waking me up in the middle of the night.”

He gives me a smirk, “Well someone obviously didn’t get anything last night—“ I narrow my eyes at him before stepping back and slamming the door in his face. I swear that this guy must have been created by the devil and sent here to be my own personal tormentor. What had I done to deserve this? So I had killed Mr. white coat, that was one person and he had deserved it. 

“Don’t take your sexual frustration on the door love. It never did anything to you.” He comments through the door and even though I can’t see him I know he’s still wearing that stupid smirk. I open the door quickly, “You’re two seconds away from becoming my breakfast. What the hell do you want?” I growl at him. He holds up his hands in surrender, “I was thinking we could have a little chat.” 

“We are chatting—“ I comment dryly. He rolls his eyes at me, “You know what I mean.”

I stare at him for a moment suspiciously, “What do you want to chat about?” 

“The weather—“ He says sarcastically. My face deadpans, “Very funny.” He smirks at me clearly amused, as if I’m the punch line of a secret joke.

“I thought maybe you’d like to learn some more about ALL of this. Things only I have the answers too.” He says waving his hands around gesturing to the house but I understood he meant the life that I had found myself in. I stepped a little closer to him, “Why do you want to share any of this with me? I doubt you came here without a purpose.” His eyes darken and his smirk becomes almost like the’s keeping a secret, “Well, we are smart aren’t we?” He mocks.

I go to slam the door in his face again but he puts his foot out blocking it, “I promise to be a good boy from here on out—“ He gives me a charming smile, “Well at least for the remainder of our conversation.” I stare at him for a long while before my curiosity to know what he had to tell me won out. I opened the door, “Fine. Come in.” I step back away from the door and let him enter. I don’t think that Victor would be to happy about me being alone in a room with Luca but what he didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him or me. 

I peek my head out the door quickly checking the hallway feeling slightly paranoid and then closing the door when I found it empty. I turned to find Luca testing the bounciness of my bed like he were a little kid. I roll my eyes, “Well start talking—“ I commanded feeling irritable and antsy. Luca looked me over before relaxing into his spot on my bed, “Where to start…where to start…” He tapped his finger to chin thoughtfully. 

“How about you start at the beginning with how you got involved in all of this?” I suggest. His eyes trained on me, “My family—well my parents spent a lot of time cleaning up after people. At that time it was a Ward’s duty to protect the secrets of the supernatural world. During that time your father had started gaining a following. Even some of my own people had defected to join his ideology because they were tired of the ‘system’. My parents however still believed in what they did—So to help leaders of that time, they became spies.” 

“They were the ones that found out his more insidious plans. You see he had kidnapped a young she-wolf and had tried on several occasions to mate with her. The pregnancies never took—until finally one time it did.” He looked to me and I understood that he was talking to me about how I had been created. I felt a knot beginning to build in my stomach over the fact that my mother had been forced to endure such things. “My parents understood that for such a thing to exist could be disastrous. Who was to know what creature had been created or what it would be possible of doing. They wanted to killed her and her child—had planned to.” 

“However, when it came time to do the deed they couldn’t. Pity is a powerful thing. Instead they decided to help the girl escape and found a place to hide her safety so that your father would never find the two of you.” Luca looked at me silently and I understood now that maybe the reasons he had wanted to kill me is because he wanted to do what he believed his parents should have done in the first place. 

“Anyway—when your father found out what had happened it didn’t take long until he discovered my parents were the ones who did it—He ordered there execution and the execution of my whole family because he did not want their bloodline to continue on. I watched them slaughter my entire family while I hid—“ His voice grew tight and he clenched his hands into fists at his sides. “Anyway a couple days later several of my people arrived to check in and found me and the scene. They took me back with them where I was raised in safety and became a personal Ward for the Fey King.” 

“And is he the one that sent you here?” I ask. 

“He is.” He says simply, “When news reached him that the his child had survived he sent me immediately to locate it and too do what I felt was necessary to keep the situation under control.” I nodded my head taking in the information he was sharing. I mean out of everyone Luca was the only one who seemed willing to tell me something about why I was being hunted like I was. 

“Well thank you for not killing me.” I say with a small smile. He pushes himself up off the bed, “I would have been an idiot to kill you. More than just being an innocent yourself—your being alive guarantees me certain things.” 

“Like what things?”

“Your father is not going to give up—even if he has to come for you himself. For now things are quiet but they won’t stay that way for long. I’m telling you all of this so that you can feel prepared. I am staying near you because I want to kill your father. I will do my best to keep you safe but my first priority is to keep this situation under control, do you understand?” I nod my head. 

“Well then—I’m glad we had this chat.” He says his serious demeanor switching back over to his playfulness from earlier. “I better get out of here before lover boy comes back…” He makes his way back over to my bedroom door. I remain standing where I had thinking over everything he had shared, “So is that how you know Sasha?” I ask 

“Huh?” He looks back to me. 

“You said you work for the Fey king and it’s clear you two knew each other—“ He makes a face as if understanding what I am saying, “I think that’s something you should ask your friend.” He turns back and opens the door stepping out of the room. 

“Wait—“ I call out. He looks back to me with a raised eyebrow. I bite my lip before speaking, “About—about my mother—what happened to her?” His eyes softened, “Who knows—but perhaps it would be best to not focus on things that might only cause you pain.” I nod my head feeling a tiny bit of disappointment as he walked away closing the door behind him. I sigh and sag back into the wall, why did my life have to be so much like a teen drama?