The Mark

It was clear that these people didn’t have much respect for anyone but Asher. I was curious about what it was he had done to win the loyalty of such intense people. When we reached their compound I was surprised to see women and children, which I hadn’t really expected from this ruthless looking group. They watched us with suspicion as we continued to move with the group. I was not sure what to think when the group began to disperse and go back to their normal activities. I stood uncertain with Sasha, Eris and Sarafina. 

Asher and another large man with an eyepatch made there way to us neither one of them giving much away in there expressions. I took a step closer to Sasha out of instinct. 

“This is my beta—Thomas.” Asher speaks introducing Mr.Eyepatch. I looked to Thomas inspecting him closer and noting that he looked like he could take on a wild tiger with his bare hands. Thomas looked over the group with his one eye scanning us with little care until his eye met my gaze and narrowed. My eyes widened and I took another step towards Sasha. Thomas leaned over and whispered something into Asher’s ear. Asher’s body stiffened for a moment before he nodded and took a step towards our group, “If you would please follow Thomas, he’ll take you to a place were you can rest until dinner.” 

Eris bowed her head slightly, “I appreciate the hospitality.” Her voice sounded void of emotions. Asher nodded his head, “Of course, anything for an old friend.” He looks towards me, “Thomas please relieve the woman from her baggage.” My wolf growled at the thought of handing Luca off to someone I didn’t know but I could tell from the situation I didn’t have much of a choice. Thomas calmly approached me and carefully lifted Luca out of my arms as if he weighted nothing. I bit my lip to keep from growling at him and let my arms fall to my side my hands fisting. 

Thomas took a step back, “Follow me…” He says in a deep voice before turning away from us and starting to walk. We all started to move but I felt a strong hand grab onto my arm and halt my movement. I couldn’t stop the growl that bubbled out of me this time as I turned to look at who had grabbed me. 

Asher stood there with a phantom grin, “If you would come with me for a moment—“ I stared at him for a moment before looking back toward my group that was slowly getting further from me. I did not want to be separated from them but I also didn’t think that pissing off Asher would go well for me. “Don’t worry you’ll see your friends again.” He whispers into my ear making me jump because I hadn’t been expecting him to be so close to me. My heart rate escalated for a moment as I looked up into his face and nod my head. 

He smiles and releases his hold on my arm, “Well then—let me lead the way.” We walked together in silence for a couple of minutes and I kept my eyes focused on my feet not wanting to offend anyone. 

“What is your name?” Asher asks me. I pause for a moment not sure how I should respond. I decide it would be better to tell the truth at this point, “My name is Alexis but everyone has always called me Lex.” I try to sound as friendly as possible. He stops in front of a small house, “This is my place—“ He nods his head toward the door and then smirks, “After you Alexis.” My name coming from his mouth does not give me any comfort. I move around him and walk up to the door, reaching out hesitantly. I turn the knob and enter the space my senses hyper alert. 

Asher follows behind me, his slamming the door shut behind us makes me flinch. He chuckles, “You’re pretty jumpy aren’t you?” He teases as he moves around me and into the room to our left. I follow behind him not sure why he had wanted me to follow him to his house. The room we enter looks similar to Mikhail’s study only much less luxurious. Asher is leaning against a small desk and he motions with his hand for me to take a seat in the chair directly in front of him. I make my way to the chair nervously knowing that I am not in the best situation right now. 

I take a seat, “So—Um—did I do something wrong?” I ask my voice not sounding as firm as I had wanted it too. Asher stares down at me his eyes scanning over me, “Alexis I’m going to ask you some questions and I expect you to answer them correctly—“ I swallowed hard wondering what would happen if I didn’t answer them correctly. I nodded my head slowly, “I’ll do my best—Sir.” 

He smiles and eases back further against his desk, “Have you ever met an enforcer?” My body stiffened at his question which I’m sure he noticed with the way he was watching me so intently. I looked into his eyes, “Yes I have.” 

His smiles seems to grow darker, “Do you know what the job of an enforcer is?” 

I bite my lip and shake my head, “Not really—“ Asher leans forward so that his face is more on my level, “Well then let me enlighten you Alexis—Enforcers are the ones who are assigned with making sure our codes and laws are kept but do you know what they do best?” 

I shake my head and he watches with dark humor, “They kill—Rouges.” 

My wolf is growling in my head, she wants nothing more then to attack Asher though I’m not sure why. When I hear the sound of heavy footsteps I look over my shoulder to see Thomas entering the room. I spin back in my chair realizing this is definitely not a good situation I am in. Asher leans back with a look of satisfaction, “My beta seems to believe that you have been mark by one of these enforcers—you see he’s one of the best trackers—he’s not a nose for these things.” He taps his nose to make the point more clear. “Personally it’s hard for me to believe that one of those enforcers would mark someone like yourself—but to satisfy the curiosity…” His eyes narrow on my neck and I remain motionless, “Please show us your neck Alexis.” 

I remain frozen staring at him feeling like the walls were closing in on me. What would happen to me once they found out that I was marked? Would they kill me or worse? I must have been taking to long because Asher let out a low growl, “Show us your neck!” 

Thomas moved behind me and took a step closer to me. My body moved out of instinct and I jumped up out of my chair and flash stepped toward the door trying to escape. Thomas must have been expecting this reaction because he moved in front of me and grabbed me by my throat. My fangs descended and I hissed at him as he tightened his hold on me. Asher let out a chuckle, “Well that was not what I expected—“ He moves towards us with determined steps and I squirm in Thomas’ grip which seems to keep getting tighter. 

Asher reached out and gripped the collar of my shirt in his hands ripping it easily in half. I felt my body tense up as he touched the mark Victor had given me. My gaze connected with Asher’s as his eyes took on his wolf glow, “Take her to the holding cells—looks like tonights dinner will be the most entertaining one yet.” Thomas tightens his grip choking me until I lost conscious.