These Dark Illusions

We got away thanks to Luca’s quick thinking and ability to apparently summon demons. I knew that we would be safe a while at least until my father could collect his forces and try a different tactic. While I had hoped in my heart the demon had killed them all I knew that he hadn’t and I knew my father having survived this long was probably among the those still living. 

Luca and I had found our way back to civilization and were currently hiding out in a hotel. I looked over to him from where I sat in a chair by the window, “How are you feeling?” I question him as I pull my knees up to my chest and rest my chin against them. Luca honestly looked terrible, his skin was a pale ashy color and there were dark circles under his eyes. 

“Pretty much the same since the last time you asked me Lex.” He snaps his voice sounding ragged as he sinks down onto the bed resting his head in his hands. 

I continue to watch him with concern not sure what I should do or if there his anything I can do to help him with whatever is happening to him. As if sensing that I was staring at him he lifts his head and looks at me, “Are you just going to sit there and watch me all night?” He questions in annoyance. I shrug my shoulders, “Depends. Are you going to continue to be an ass all night or are you tell me what’s wrong with you?” 

He smirks a little at my words but it doesn’t seem right, “It’s nothing to concern yourself over princess.” He says before laying down on the bed and turning his back to me. I know something isn’t right with him but it’s not like I can torture it out of him. I let out a sigh and continue to watch him. After twenty minutes of silence I can tell that he’s fallen asleep by the sound of his soft relaxed breaths. My own eyes are going heavy and keep trying to close against my will. Before I fall asleep I let myself be comforted by the image of Victor that sails through my mind. 

I awoke to the sound of labored breathing and shuffling fabric. I slowly blinked a couple times my eyes adjusting to the dimly lit room. I looked around slowly as if coming back to myself and remembering everything that had happened over the past to weeks. My eyes moved quickly to the bed to find Luca on his back his body twitching slightly and a tense expression his face. I quickly uncoiled myself from the seat and making my way to his bedside. It was obvious he must be having a nightmare.

The close I got to him the more I felt my body fighting me as if it was sensing something I couldn’t. I pushed myself forward when I noted the sweat that was pouring off of him. I reached out to him hesitantly, “Luca?” I called him softly. I put my hand onto his shoulder and I regretted it immediately. I pulled my hand back quickly with a gasp and took a step back away from him. The moment I had touched him I had seen what was going on in his head and it was horrifying. There had been so much darkness and death. 

His body began to thrash more violently in the bed and he was making small pained noises that had my heart breaking. I couldn’t leave him like that not with those things in his head. He had saved me and I owed him. I pushed back my fear and moved closer to him again. I took in a deep breath and prepared myself this time for what I would see. I put my hand on his shoulder cringing, “Luca?” 

The darkness was creeping up my arm and into my mind. I pushed back on the fear, “Luca.” I said a little louder tightening my grip on him. I felt like death itself was wrapping it’s icy fingers around my throat. I began to shake and my wolf was growling loudly in my head ready to attack. When the darkness began to creep into my mind she came crashing towards the surface, “LUCA!” I let out a mighty roar that I didn’t even know I was capable off.