One Step Closer

I was wrapped up in a wonderful feeling almost like I was laying in the sand basking in the warmth of the sun. I felt myself smile and run my hands over the sand underneath me grabbing it by the fistfuls and lifting it up allowing it to slip through my fingers. The sound of the waves crashing on the shore were such a melodic and rhythmic sound in my ears. Almost like the steady beat of a heart. 

"Lex?" I heard a familiar voice calling my name. 

"mmm..." I moaned at the perfect sound of the voice. 

"Open your eyes Lex—" The voice demanded which made me frown. I didn't want to open my eyes. I wanted to stay in my little slice of heaven for a little while longer. Plus my eyes felt too heavy to open at the moment. "Damnit!" I heard the masculine voice swear before a heady yet refreshing liquid hit my tongue. Which seemed to awaken a sudden hunger deep inside me. It was as if I had been lost in the desert for months without anything to drink and I was thirsty, very thirsty. I drank the refreshing liquid with a sudden urgency becoming more and more aware of the world around me. My little slice of heaven slowly disappearing. 

I wasn't sure if I was truly seeing him or if this was another hallucination but I swear I could see Victor. I wanted to touch him, my fingers burned with the need. I lifted my arm and reached out towards him hesitantly. Real, not real—I couldn't care less—I wanted him. No, I needed him. My fingers brushed across the skin of his cheek, "Real?" My words came out mumbled and soft.

"Real" His voice repeats.

My eyes snapped open all the way and I was staring up into Victors face. The reality of everything coming back to me. His wrist positioned at my mouth. Thats when I realized that he was feeding me his blood. I quickly pulled away with a gasp, "Are you crazy?! I could have drained you dry!" I shout at him before I grabbed his wrist and licked the wound allowing my saliva to heal and seal it. He continued to stare at me without responding which made me shift uncomfortably. 

"Victor, we have to Rogue leader locked up in the holding cells." I look toward the voice and find Gideon standing there, "The others have been rounded up and put into the meeting house."   

"Good..." He says as he lifts himself up off the ground and stands above me. Thats when I begin to recall everything before I passed out. Asher finding out the I was an Enforcers mate, the fighting circle and Victor saving me. "I'll talk with him after everything else is settled." I couldn't believe they had taken out Asher and his goons while I had been passed out. Just how long was I out for?

Victor clears his throat to get my attention and I look towards him to see he is holding out his hand to me but saying nothing. His silence towards me was starting to make me nervous. I hesitantly took his hand the strange shockwaves that happened every time we touched coursed through me. I wanted to cling to him like an anchor to this world but once I was standing steady he shook me off.

I tried not to feel wounded by his lack of affection so I focused my attention on something else, "What about the others?" I ask nervous that something that happened to them. 

"Eris, Sasha and her sister are fine." Gideon replies looking at me with a phantom smile. I could tell he was happy to be back with Sasha though I highly doubted she felt the same.