The Monster Inside Me

Run. 

Faster.

Run. 

Screams.  

Don’t look back. 

Luca was behind me as we ran through the woods with vampires hot on our heels. They had been tracking us since the moment we had left Mikhail’s pack house. I only prayed that I was the only one they were after and that I was leading them away from the others. Luca had been doing well at keeping us hidden the past couple of days but I knew I was living in an illusion of my own creating thinking that I was actually safe. 

Another couple of screams ring out in the dark and I have no idea if Luca is casting them into hellish illusions or just killing them but I don’t want to see. I don’t want to see anymore. I feel a familiar ache in my chest that only seemed to be growing with every passing day. This must be the separation symptoms that Sarafina had mentioned to me that day in the car. It took everything to keep myself moving forward and not turning back to go to Victor like my soul was begging me to do. 

Luca grabbed a hold go my hand, “Come on!” He yells as he turns us quickly to the left. We are quickly weaving and ducking through the trees, “Where are we going?” I yell at him over the wind that is rushing by us. 

“Just a little bit further…” He calls back to me. He starts moving a little faster and I push myself harder even though my body is screaming at me that I’m at my limit. I feel a strange hum rush through my body as we pass through a tree line. Luca comes to a stop breathing heavily and I stop next to him bending forward with my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath. 

“Where are we?” I ask between breaths looking around at the strange formation of rocks. 

“It’s a way point—Witches use them to cast high level spells and stuff—which means they are good at keeping things out, like vampires.” I look toward him with a raised eyebrow, “But I’m a vampire…” 

“You’re only half so I guess it doesn’t work on you which is interesting.” He says with a smirk. 

“How did you know this place was here?” 

“Ward’s are not so different from Witches. I guess you could say we’re kind of like you, a combination of this and that. A mixture between a demons and  witches. We can use magic but we also can be summoned and bound like demons.” He shrugs a little, “So I sensed the magic and took a chance which paid off. So you can thank me later.” He teases.

“So we’re safe in here then?” I ask as look around the surrounding forest. 

“For now.” He says dryly as he lowers himself to the ground near one of the large rocks and leans his back against it. “Why are you helping me hide?” I ask him as I slowly walk towards where he is resting. He keeps his eyes closed, “Because I said I would protect you.” 

“But I thought you would want me to go with them since you want to kill my father so badly…” I mean it was something I was still curious about and since it seemed like we were going to be here for a little while. I lowered myself next to him on the ground. He let out a small sigh, “I’m not going to charge blindly into a battle when I don’t have the advantage.” he says as if I was some kind of idiot. I frown and close my eyes, “Well excuse me for not knowing the art of war.”