Remembrance

Toby didn't mean to find it, he really didn't. He was just looking for another pair of shoes in their closet, his current one earning one too many holes than needed for what was considered a decent pair of shoes. But there it was -- an odd looking dark green hat, hidden away in the furthest reaches of the closet to never be touched for an eternity. He'd never seen It before, never seen anyone in the house -- much less Tim or Brian -- wear it. So who did it belong to, and how did it get there?

Toby picked up the article of clothing carefully, previous endeavour currently forgotten as he withdrew from the closet while examining the item in hand fully. Yup, he definitely did not recognize this hat. He stood fully and turned, ready to find Brian or Tim to see if they knew who it belonged to --

But Tim was already there, looking about ready to come up on Toby to startle him while he was preoccupied with a large grin on his face that quickly dropped once he realized Toby held something quite familiar in his twitching hands. His brows furrowed, eyes trained on the hat for a moment too long before looking back to Toby's face.

"Where'd you find that?" Tim asked a little too sternly than he had meant it to be.

"B-bottom of the clos-set," Toby stuttered out innocently. "W-was gonna as-ask if i-it was yours."

Toby offered the hat to Tim with an outstretched arm, and it took Tim a moment to work up the nerve and grab it. He seemed to look it over himself, almost forgetting Toby stood rocking on his heels before him until he spoke once more.

"We-well, is i-it yours?"

"Hm?" Tim jumped slightly, clutching the hat tight in his hand as his eyes darted back to Toby. "Oh, uhm," Tim looked over the hat for another split second in thought, "it -- belonged to a friend of mine. Never had the chance t' return it to him."

Tim turned, walking quietly towards their dresser to set the hat atop it as Toby watched, making his way slowly behind the other at a snail's pace. It wasn't until Tim was done staring almost longingly at the object before turning back to Toby, that he realized the other was even following him.

"Tim?" Toby asked slowly. Tim grunted. "...... 's okay, y' know."

"How'd you mean?" Tim asked.

"To miss somebody. Someone you lost. 'S how I got these."

Toby took the goggles from his head then -- something Tim rarely saw him do -- and examine them in his hands. Well, that explained it.

"Lyra?" Tim asked hesitantly after a moment.

Toby nodded. Then, he looked to Tim quizzically. It took Tim a moment to realize Toby was staring past him, to the lonely hat that sat on the dresser. It took him another moment before he could find the words -- much less the strength -- to respond.

"Jay."

"Jay," Toby parroted. "I like that."

Tim smiled, taking one last look at the hat before turning -- and becoming startled as a frayed hand intertwined with his. Toby smiled rather goofily back at him, slipping his goggles back on with his free hand.

"C'mon," he insisted, pulling Tim gently. "'M hungry."

"You just want me t' cook 'cause Brian banned you from the stove,' ' Tim laughed as he followed along; Toby's smile only widening before he pulled on his face mask.

"Maybe," he drawled out with a laugh.

Tim hummed, expression softening as he was led through the open door and down the stairs. His moment of sadness was forgotten, at least; and for that, he was glad.