Musically Inclined

Of all people he'd had things in common with, Tim never thought he'd be able to relate to the Tall Man in the slightest. For obvious reasons, of course. He tried his best to limit his contact and whatnot with the Tall Man but considering he lived in a house it obviously created and working under him as well, it got pretty difficult to not see him around every once and a while. The Tall Man seemed to feel the same way, considering he only ever talked to Tim outside of his "job" to ask about the whereabouts of other residents of the house. Tim wasn't to start complaining.

What he would start complaining about, was Jeff. Although the killer had finally gotten over his phase of wanting to outright kill Tim (though he figured it was more the Operator's influence than anything), Jeff certainly wasn't afraid to show his dislike for Tim on a regular basis. Tim had finally gotten used to his antics, of course, and learned how to deal with them in stride. That didn't mean that Tim didn't enjoy putting Jeff through various types of hell in order to get on his nerves. And apparently, the Tall Man didn't mind doing so, either.

From what Tim both heard and witnessed on the rare occasion, the Tall Man certainly didn't enjoy Jeff's presence in the house. Why it didn't just ban the killer or even dispose of him altogether was a mystery to Tim. But considering it was the Tall Man's house and realm, he wasn't going to tell it how to run the show. He was just glad he wasn't the only one besides Jane who disliked the killer to the same extent. All he was really worried about was making it to tomorrow -- and if that meant he didn't have to worry about Jeff as much, he was alright with that.

***

It was a chilly winter morning that Tim found himself cooped up in the living room; Toby vehemently watching varying amounts of cartoons in said living room with Lazarus to keep her entertained. Liu had joined them during their little marathon, if only due to the fact that Tim had decided to bring his Ukulele downstairs with him to absentmindedly pluck at the strings as Toby and Laz laid on their pallet in front of the flashing television. Not too many people of the house seemed to play any instruments at all, so it always seemed as though Tim drew them in whenever he decided to bust out the Ukulele. He didn't mind, considering those that urged him to play for him were actually interested in the damned thing. Except for Jeff, of course. Anything anyone enjoyed he seemed to despise with a burning hatred. Why, Tim wasn't sure -- but it was Jeff, so he wasn't going to question it.

It'd been some time since the start of their off day, Liu occasionally making requests to Tim as he strummed quietly at the Ukulele. Toby and Laz occasionally giggled or talked about whatever show they were watching, paying little mind to the quiet sounds of strings being plucked behind them. But of course, if there was anyone in the house having so much as a sliver of a good time -- Jeff seemed to sense this, and was more than happy to try and distrupt the calm in any way possible. Not surprising, really.

Footsteps thundered down the steps, the loud voices of BEN and Jeff being easily heard as they made their way downstairs. Laz and Toby paid little mind to the commotion as first BEN appeared at the landing and moved swiftly into the kitchen, followed by Jeff. Liu seemed to glare at his brother while Tim paid the two no mind. Jeff, however, stopped before he could follow BEN into the kitchen, quickly spotting Tim strumming away and getting a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"What, still can't play an actual guitar yet?" Jeff chortled, half stepping into the living room to better see the couch.

"Better than you can," Tim muttered. Liu tried his best to suppress a laugh, knowing Tim was right. Jeff frowned, eyes narrowing.

"Yeah, well," Jeff snorted as he moved to head into the kitchen, "I said I'd be impressed when you can play Megalovania on that stupid baby guitar, and I'm sticking to it."

Jeff barely got to the kitchen door before Tim suddenly sprang to his feet, adjusting the strings with the nobs on the handle as he moved to Jeff. Said killer gave him a confused look as he stopped mid step. Toby quickly became interested as well, quick to move so he was sitting back on his knees.

"No," said Liu with a grin as he sat forward in his seat.

"He can't even get the right tune, I bet," snickered Jeff as he moved to turn back to Tim. BEN peeked his head out of the kitchen, obviously curious.

"No, I can, just - just shut up," Tim muttered as he fumbled with the instrument more.

"What," snorted Jeff, "got stage fri- I fucking hate you."

Whether it was Jeff's tone going from cocky to deadpanned or Tim suddenly playing Megalovania near perfectly as he gave Jeff a shit eating grin, playing without so much as breaking eye contact -- the room delved into laughter at the scene before them. All the while, Jeff glared at Tim.

"What?" Tim snorted, though that didn't stop him from continuing to play. "You star struck?"

"More like dumb struck," Liu chortled.

"Fuck off," growled Jeff. "He just has too much time on his hands, the lazy ass."

"Hey," laughed Tim, "you were the one that said you'd be impressed if I could play it -- and I can't really say no to a challenge, yeah?"

As they spoke and squabbled, none seemed to hear the quiet footsteps coming from upstairs that quietly ascended them. BEN seemed to be the only one to notice the figure stop at the bottom of the stairs and moved quickly back into the kitchen as the figure quietly watched and listened -- more curious than anything.

"Not really much of a challenge on one of those baby guitars," snorted Jeff.

"First off, it's a Ukulele," Tim corrected. "Second, you're just jealous I can play."

"Who'd be jealous of that thing?" Jeff snorted.

"Bet he could pick up more chicks than you with that thing," Liu said. Jeff glared.

"Whatever. You're a dumbass," grumbled Jeff mainly to Tim, nearly running into the Tall Man as he turned to make his hasty exit. "Watch where you're going asshole," was Jeff's version of, "Excuse me."

Thankfully or not so thankfully, the Tall Man didn't seem disturbed or upset by Jeff's comment as he strode half a step forward.

<"I do not believe I heard the first part,"> said the Tall Man promptly, looking to Tim. <"Perhaps you could play it once more?">

Tim was surprised, if anything, considering the Tall Man never seemed to take an interest in human music to begin with, much less whatever Tim decided to strum up on his Ukulele. But he snickered and began playing from the beginning regardless. This seemed to annoy Jeff to no end, and decided against going into the kitchen and instead made a beeline past the Operator.

"You guys are so fucking - Hey! Let me go!"

Jeff tried to simply leave the house through the front door as he began to rant -- however, as he passed by the Tall Man, an arm suddenly jutted out and grabbed him fiercely by the hood. He was dragged back kicking and flailing and no amount of struggling on Jeff's end faltered the Tall Man's grab on his hood. And there he was forced to stay kicking and flailing as the room erupted into more laughter.
Sometimes Tim felt indurated by the Tall Man for obvious reasons. But if he could share at least one thing with it - even if it was torturing Jeff to no end -- then he supposed it would suffice.