Movie Night

Sometimes Toby's antics were out of line and a little too spontaneous.

Other times, they were downright hilarious.

Like now, for instance.

One thing Toby never remembered doing, was going to the movies. So with some spare cash on hand, neither Brian nor Tim had any qualms about stopping in a movie theater when in a town that had one. After having gotten their tickets -- some action movie, Brian had mused; the other two having chosen the movie, of course -- the three stood in line among other patrons to get snacks before the movie, It was apparent that popcorn wasn't in the equation, however; at least, if the empty machine and man stand quite literally inside the machine in direct line of sight of patrons trying to fix said machine was anything to go by.

But as they -- or at least Toby -- were quickly aware of, the woman ahead of them wasn't taking no for an answer. Her ranting and raving of, "Why couldn't she have popcorn?" and "She wanted popcorn!" were easily heard, probably even past the thick glass front doors that lead outside. Toby's brow furrowed as he listened to the woman, unaware of the conversation his partners were having, until his increasingly foul mood made his snap.

"Are you f-fucking st-stupid?"

The cashier who had been trying to calm the woman to no avail almost immediately burst into laughter just as the woman ahead of the three whipped around with a scowl on her face. Both Brian, Tim and the group behind them went quiet immediately; Brian's face falling in either surprise, terror or both.

Perhaps their only saving grace was the man inside the machine who dropped down, popping his head out and stating with a rather straight yet annoyed expression, "I was about t' the same damn thing," before giving the woman a, "what the fuck?" look, as if surprised she didn't see him literally inside the empty machine not five feet from her and in her direct line of sight. Not to mention, it was quite obviously the only machine.

This caused the approaching manager, who had done well to keep his composure so far, instantly keel over in laughter. The woman, now red faced and clearly annoyed, muttered some curses under her breath and stormed off. Toby felt a lot better about that.

Just as Brian half shoved Toby up towards the counter, the manager had gained enough of his composure to stride over, grabbing a couple handfuls of candy from under the counter and slid it towards the trio.

"Just -- just give it to 'em," the man barely breathed as he turned and strode off, laughingly muttering about needing to, "go deal with that phone call."

The maintenance man had already begrudgingly went back to his duties, though seemed a lot happier now that the angry woman was gone. The group behind him wouldn't stop giggling, constantly quoting, "Are you fucking stupid?" which caused even more giggling.

"Huh," Tim mused aloud, eyeing their newfound prize as the cashier did her best to compose herself, "looks like we can get soda."

Toby cheered -- mostly for himself; they got snacks and soda 'cause of him! -- which caused the group behind them to erupt in laughter and Brian to jokingly roll his eyes. It wasn't like they could complain too much now anyway.