Prologue

Warm thick fluid of crimson flowed down my arm as I clutched the bullet hole on my shoulder, trying to hold off the bleeding. I heard gunshots coming from behind me. I must flee. This operation was a bust, dammit!

I can’t believe I failed, shit!

Fortunately enough, I managed to escape before they could corner me. I left quite a lot of bloodshed in my escape, as expected of my skills! But damn, I couldn’t even kill my target, what a blunder.

I turned towards a small alley, hoping to at least lose the ones who were chasing me. My long and unkempt black hair rattled as I ran desperately. I grip the pistol in my hands in preparation for what may greet me once I leave this alley.

My beautiful brow wrinkled when I heard the sound of a vehicle coming my way. Its headlight began to lit the road before me. There were no allies here, I am alone, therefore, this fast vehicle could only be an enemy.

Sure enough, the car stopped as soon as I stepped out of the alley. They opened the doors of their car, but before they could come out, I aimed my weapon at them. I instantly had one in my sights and pulled the trigger, a loud roar from my weapon rang out. I shot him cleanly in the head and his assault rifle fell to the ground.

I quickly shifted the aim to the second man and shot. But two more emerged from the backseat of the car, so I stepped back and took cover behind the wall. Their guns shot numerous bullets towards where I was situated.

Dammit, enemies will also come from my back at any second.

There were also the ones that were chasing me from behind, I expected that they would appear from where I just went through.

Aaah, this is the end.

How could everything end this way?

I began to worry about my life. My desire to have a carefree life, and my regrets came to my mind.

My life had always felt like it was in shackles, always bounded, unable to do what I wanted. Only do the things I was ordered. I was always envious of normal people. Casually walking down the street, without fearing for anything.

Eat by the street stalls, go shopping, laugh with other people. Hell, I am even envious of those that were able to go to school. Not because they were able to go to school until they graduate from college, but because they got to live a carefree life.

What a miserable turn of events…

Well, if this was how it was going to end, let’s end it with a bang! I ain’t gonna mope around in the face of death. If I was going to die, I’ll do it on my own terms. At least, I got to do what I wanted this time.

I listened to the rapid fire of my enemies. Then they stopped, they must be advancing towards me. Good, at least I get to catch them in surprise.

“This way!”

I heard a loud voice from the other end of the alley. They were the ones that were chasing after me. Instantly, upon hearing that one man’s shout, I stepped forward and extended my weapon with a dagger in my hand. I always had daggers strapped to my thighs during missions.

With my dark mission outfit which was made for the purpose of flexible movement, I moved swiftly. The two men looked surprised for a split second that I suddenly emerged from my cover.

However, with that opening, I pulled the trigger of my weapon, hitting him on the neck. Due to the pressure, I missed the head. But that was fine, that still meant death. Before anything else, I also instantly threw my sharp dagger towards the other guy.