Stroll Through Toad Town

Mr.L: What?! Kill me?! Is that what that Pixl was trying to do?!

Timpani: I'm afraid so.

Mr.L: Is there any way to get rid of it?!

Timpani looked like she was thinking it over.

Timpani: If you could get the Pure Hearts, they could finish off the Chaos Heart once and for all.

I tilted my head in confusion.

Mr.L: Pure Hearts? Really? MORE HEARTS! What are those supposed to be?

Timpani chuckled.

Timpani: Pure Hearts are the embodiment of love!

I went wide-eyed.

Mr.L: No thanks, Ms.Butterflies! I don't want anything to do with LOVE after that Pixl!

She laughed at me again.

Timpani: No, silly. Just normal love. The kind that you feel towards another. Surely you must have loved at some point!

I tried to think of what she said but came up with nothing.

Mr.L: I... Don't remember...

She seemed to regret bringing up the topic.

Timpani: Oh, L... I'm so sorry. I know how that feels to forget about the ones closest to you...

Timpani then locked me in a hug. I tensed up, feeling immediately uncomfortable. What she said got me thinking... What all DID I forget?

She eventually let go while I remained to stare off into space.

Timpani: Well... You should probably lay low with me for a while. Just stay here and I'll be back in a bit! Okay, L?

I didn't respond. She sighed.

Timpani: Just... Be good.

The door closed and Timpani was gone. I just sat on the bed deep in thought.

Mr.L: Could I have forgotten my whole life? Do I have parents? Do I have siblings? Do they miss me? What about all that Timpani said about love? Could I have loved someone and forgotten them? I wouldn't forget that kinda thing! ...Would I? Would they remember... me?

I looked next to me to see the Light Prognosticus lying on the bed. With one swift motion, I grabbed the book and started flipping through it. Tucked in-between one of the pages was a list of names. Next to each name was a drawing of a colorful heart.

 Next to each name was a drawing of a colorful heart

Mr.L: Pure Heart guardians... They must have the Pure Hearts! Wait... Timpani has one! Why didn't she tell me? She probably just forgot to. I should go find her and ask for it!

If I get the eight Pure Hearts, I can get my memories back! Plus, the Void would disappear! I pocketed the list and started towards the door. I opened the door and dashed outside. Everything was so bright and vibrant. I quickly figured out why it was called Toad Town. There were mushroom people EVERYWHERE. I slowed my pace down to a walk as I took in the scenery.

Mr.L: Wow...

I don't know if I've been here before or not, but it doesn't look like a sight I would quickly get used to.

???: Hey, you! I'M TALKING TO YOU!

I snapped out of my daze and turned around to see a very agitated Toadstool staring up at me. He must have been shouting at me while I was looking around.

Mr.L: Uh... Hi?

Toad: You got some nerve showing your face! Er... you got some nerve showing your masked face!

Mr.L: Do I know you..?

Toad: No! But I'm gonna make sure that you do once I end your game!

My SOUL flashed and I was in battle. The Toad was trying to fight. Bellow my SOUL showed four options.

[🔪FIGHT] [🎉ACT] [💰ITEM] [❌MERCY]

Fight did not seem like a good idea... I moved my SOUL to the ACT option and selected it. Two more options appeared.

*Check                        *Talk

I chose to use *Check.

* Toad - ATK 5 DEF 8

* A common enemy. You can find one around every bend of the Mushroom Kingdom. No one would notice if it was gone...

The description I got kinda unnerved me...

Toad: Once I end your game, the Void disappears!

My SOUL got put in a black abyss. I maneuvered my SOUL around as the Toad threw mushroom-shaped attacks at me. They were a LOT easier to dodge than that Pixl's attacks... My SOUL returned to the options.

[🔪FIGHT] [🎉ACT] [💰ITEM] [❌MERCY]

I chose ACT once again, but this time selected *Talk.

*You said something to the Toad

*...

*The Toad calmed down slightly.

Toad: Heh... I would hate to lose my loved ones...

My SOUL went into the abyss area but the Toad's attacks seemed less powerful. My SOUL came back, I selected [🎉ACT] and *Talk once again.

*You said something to the Toad

*...

*The Toad seems reluctant to fight you now.

Toad: You just want to know where the Pure Hearts are so you can close the Void? That would be much nicer than fighting...

The attacks seemed to have no effort given to them. My SOUL came back and the [❌MERCY] was flashing. I selected it and saw two options.

*Flee

*SPARE

The *SPARE option was yellow. I selected it and the battle stopped. I was now back in the normal world.

Toad: Sorry. I just got so panicky. But if you think that the Pure Hearts can stop the Void, then I'm happy to help! I saw Lady Timpani hurry back over to Princess Peach's garden!

The Toad pointed down the road to a large castle in the distance. The place Timpani found me at.

Mr.L: Thank you! I'll stop at nothing to close the Void! L-ater!

I ran down the brick path towards the setting sun.

---------------

I vaulted over the gates into the butterfly garden. It was almost night, I can't believe that Timpani would still be here. I kept running until I was out of breath. But thankfully I could see her kneeling by some flowers.

Mr.L: Hey! Timpani! I want to ask you...

I trailed off when I realized that she wasn't just kneeling by flowers just because, she was also crying. She stood up to face me. I could see tears streaming down her face. She held out her hand, a butterfly perching on her finger.

Timpani: I told you to stay... I don't want you to get hurt... I can't handle any more death...

Mr.L: Timpani, that's what I'm trying to prevent! If I close the Void, I can stop the destruction!

Timpani sniffled as the butterfly flew off.

Timpani: But do you have the strength to do it? Could you really collect all eight Pure Hearts from them? I want you to prove yourself! Prove that you can protect yourself!

My SOUL was dragged into a fight.