Chapter 18

*Unknown*

"May I take your order?" I asked a couple at a table, with a smile. They were both very good-looking, but the girl seemed stressed for some reason I would never know.

"Could you give us a minute? My girlfriend here is having some trouble choosing." The boy said, gripping her thigh forcefully. I could see the girl was trying her hardest not to wince.

"Of course," I said, and walked to the next table. All of them have stories and tales that only they would know about. And I could only wonder.

That old man sitting alone? His wife might have died. Or maybe not. That little girl playing in a corner with her father? She might have a small crush on a classmate. Or maybe not.

"Welcome, how can I help you today?" I asked a group of friends, smiling again. It was all so fake. I hated smiling. It felt like lying to the world. Telling it that I was alright, that I was happy. I would never be happy. Never again.

But I kept my mask on. I kept my mask on for all these people, who expect me to be fine. Who expect me to be pleasant for them, because they were all content with life, and didn't need to know I was slowly fading away.

I kept my mask on for my children, who were too innocent and kind for their good. I kept my mask on for my husband, who just lost his job. I kept my mask on to survive. But I hated it.

"We want a mixed platter, two burgers, and a pizza." One of them said, and I picked up their menus.

"Of course, coming right up," I said, and left them to their own lives. I went back to the counter and told the cook their order.

I looked at the couple from earlier, and saw the boy holding the girl's chin, and making her look at him. It was obvious to anyone that had eyes that he was abusing her.

Then he slapped her. On the cheek. In plain sight. The girl didn't cower. The girl didn't cry. She held her head high. Her eyes filled with determination not to let him see her pain.

I quickly went to them, hating having to see that. Hating how I knew what that felt like before I was able to run from home. Hating that I had let myself forget that I was lucky I wasn't there anymore. Hating myself for not caring anymore.

"May I take your order?" I asked with a smile plastered back on my face. The boy looked at me as if he didn't just do what he just did. As if he wasn't traumatizing the girl for life.

"You're such a bitch. I just told you that we needed some time, and you come back after barely a second. I can get you fired for that you know." He said threateningly.

I couldn't lose my job. If I lost my job my family would have no income, and we would have to sell our home.

"Steel, please stop." The girl said making eye contact with me instead of him,

"she didn't do anything wrong." I nodded at her in thanks. I didn't deserve her risking her hide for me. And yet she did.

"Shut up Kelly." The boy, who I now knew was Steel said, glaring at Kelly. She fidgeted with her fingers, the only sign she was scared of Steel.

"This service sucks. We're leaving. Come on Kelly." Steel said grabbing her arm forcefully.
Her panicked eyes locked on mine, and I-

I didn't know what to do. If I tried to help her, I could get fired. And if I got fired, my children could starve. But I couldn't let the girl be abused like that. It wasn't right. No one should have to go through that.

"Excuse me, but you need to pay for your drinks first," I told the boy, standing in front of him. He was taller than me, but most people were so that wasn't a huge surprise. He snarled at me and I blinked, not backing down.