Chapter 28: Closure

“Asslamu alaikum.” Khadijah announced her presence in a small voice, you could hear the weariness from miles away.

Her mother replied from inside the house, she was probably in her room and with tired limbs she trudged to the door and knocked before pushing it open, her mother sat with about five jewelry boxes, not questioning what they were for she slumped on the cushioned bench with a groan.

“How was it? I wanted to call you after I prayed sef, why didn't you come to take the cake?” that made Khadijah look at the wall clock, 9:15pm, she didn’t realize how late she stayed out.

“We didn't even go, she is in the hospital.”

“Subhanallah! What happened to her?” she exclaimed with her hands on her chest, hajiya Ladidi is definitely one for dramatics.

“She's fine now Alhamdulillah, she's just been stressed and she hasn't been eating.”

A sound of affirmation and knowing left hajiya Ladidi's mouth, Khadijah turned abruptly to see if something was wrong, “I knew she doesn't like eating, I've said it, ah you Children want to kill yourselves.” she muttered the last part with disdain.

They sat and talked for a bit before Khadijah stood up, ready to retire to her room, she needed to pray and her brain couldn't comprehend anything except for bed. She wondered why she was always tired whenever she didn't go to work.

“Ehhn, which one do you like among these?” that was when her graze drifted to the open box, she moved closer and nodded in appreciation. “I like this new designs, I got them when I went to the market, when I go to see Sadiya insha Allah, I'll take hers you can help me take Baraka's own right, you should pick yours though.” she stretched the boxes to Khadijah who stretched her hands.

She studied the golden jewelry and picked the simplest design, she wasn't a fan of golden jewelry, silver is more her thing.

“I knew you would pick that one, it is real Dubai gold and at a good price too.” she thanked and prayed for her mother before leaving not wanting to get into gold discussion. She didn't know the difference between real gold and fake one for the life of her but her mother who was a big fan will probably tell you the mine it came from, but the thing she did know though was that gold prices have risen, the zeroes was something she didn't want to know, ignorance is bliss anyways.

First things first, she removed the headscarf then accessories, she packed her unruly hair, she had to go and plait, she reminded herself again. She entered the bathroom and undressed then took a bath, thankful that her heater was on, it was always on if she was being honest, another bad habit.

Since she missed a day of work and knowing she had multiple things to go over, she had Victoria send her an email with everything that could she could sort from home, after she prayed she sat by her desk and got to work on her laptop, a bowl of candies beside her, she has a sweet tooth which should be controversial seeing she loved black coffee, but she's always been weird so that's just one of the weird things about herself that she learned to embrace.

She was viewing a dress a customer wants, she preferred her own designs but what choice does she have, what you want is what you get, at least when you come to her, she was reading the note attached to it when her phone rang, not taking her eyes off it she reached out and picked the phone that was beside the laptop.

“Hello?” her voice was calm, her eyes still on the laptop.

“And here I was expecting you to flood my gallery with pictures.” Fahad said jestingly slumping on the bed of his temporary room until he felt it was safe to leave Jawad alone. They had just returned from the mosque, they took a walk before going back to the house though Jawad had been quiet and lost in his thoughts, the closure relaxed him, it was very obvious.