One

Toh Bismillah, finally chapter one is up.

Thank you all soooo much for 42reads already, the first chapter wasn't even up.
Happy reading 😘😘

Khadijah let out a painful yelp when her husband squeezed her already injured hand, she knew it would leave a bruise, but it was just one out of many. The scars looked like a tattoo marking from far because of how much they were, it was too bad her mother failed to notice.

"Please stop it you're hurting me" she begged even though she knew it was pointless, she always begged but he never stopped, sometimes he would hit her for begging because 'her voice is annoying' his exact words.

Khadijah heard the slap before she felt it "What did I say about begging me?" she couldn't answer, the pain was too much to bear, he held her hand in an unnatural angle "What did I say?  ANSWER ME" he yelled and shook her, by now she was already a crying mess, you'd think she would get used to it from how constant it happened.

"Yo-you h-h-hate it" she stuttered out whimpering, her body racked with sobs but he didn't care, he didn't even notice.

"Why are you crying now? Aren't you strong come on fight back, I SAID FIGHT BACK!!" her body shook from the intensity of her cries and that irritated him, he pushed her to the floor kicking her repeatedly not caring where he hit, he just kept going.

Soon she had stopped trying to block the kicks he kept sending her way trying to fight to stay awake, she heard a crack but it was nothing she was not used to, he broke her ribs again, he would only stop when he saw she was exhausted and he can't hear her cries and pleas for him to stop.

"How *kick* dare *kick* you *hit* my *kick*sister?" too lost in his rage he didn't notice she's already passed out, he only stopped to lift her head to see if her eyes were open when he didn't hear her damned sobs he saw how still she was, he hissed before letting go and pushing her to Side with his leg, "waste of time" he muttered before leaving the house.

PAIN, the only thing her brain could register when she woke up, he left her on the floor, not like it was surprising.

With much difficulty she got up from the floor and entered the bedroom praying he was not there, she sent a silent thanks when she saw the empty room, he was not back from wherever he went off to and hopefully he stayed there for the night.

Khadijah knew thinking that was wrong but she was just looking out for herself, if he was around, the horrors of the night would continue in a different and slightly more painful way, though that's more of a mental pain than physical.

She limped to the adjoined bathroom to look at the damage he done that time, lifeless eyes stared back at her, her ribs hurt and she knew they were broken from experience, it wasn't the first time he'd broken her ribs, touching the place slightly, she winced, about three ribs are broken that much she could feel, hopefully he didn't fracture anything delicate.

A bruise had formed on her cheek and her scar tatted hand has a new friend, she wished she could at least cry the pain away but even her tear ducts weren't cooperating.

She took a hot bath to soothe her muscles, that'll reduce the pain at least, she performed ablution then went to pray Maghrib and Isha, she has been knocked out for two hours.

Much to her relief Suleiman didn't return home that night but his yelling and raining curses by five in the morning told her he just got back, slowly she got out of bed and went to open the door for him.

The sound of a slap resonated around the house and she let's out a strangled cry, it took her a few seconds to register what he said.

"Didn't I tell you to be closing the door with a key, a man can't enter his house peacefully again, what kind of woman are you?"

She wanted to tell him 'a sane one' but the sting she still felt from the slap and the fact that it hurt to be breath made her think twice and chose the smarter option which was to apologise and promise not to repeat the same mistake.

"Where is breakfast?" He shouted from the kitchen, fighting back her tears she walked carefully because of her aching limbs and hurting ribs, she needed to go and see a doctor but she knew it would be highly unlikely for him to let her go, giving her money was out of question.

"I-i-i- I'll get to it right now" she croaked out and quickly left his side  "Don't bother with it, if you wanted me to eat you would've made it by now" he glared at her before he left the kitchen.

When she was sure he was out of earshot she allowed the tears to Fall even though it made her ribs hurt more, she entered the guest bedroom do she didn't have to run into him again that soon, she prayed her fajr prayers and prolonged her sujood and asked Allah to ease her pain and make her strong enough to pass this test.

She didn't know when she fell asleep on the prayer mat but by the time she woke up it was already twelve and Suleiman has left for work, if that's where he goes, as usual he locked her in the house so she doesn't go around 'telling people about their marital affairs' that's what her mother told her the first and last time she reported him, she never found anything wrong with it saying he'd change.

Hajiya Ladidi has put a blind eye to the fact that her youngest daughter was being domestically abused by her husband, she didn't see how she was loosing weight and has lost the life in her eyes or how she would zone out or flinch to the littlest of sounds, she was satisfied with the fact that she was married, she just expected her to be strong no matter what life throw at her.

Sadiya was the only person that saw through her facade, she once asked her if Suleiman was hitting her when she saw the bruises in her back when she was changing during her last daughter's naming ceremony, she'd opened up to her but asked her to promise not to tell anyone, she'd kept quiet for long but that doesn't mean she' would stay quiet forever.

Sadiya and Khadijah have always been closer, they can be taken for twins because of their uncanny resemblance,  the only difference was Sadiya's fair skin and the peace of mind which gave her a natural glow unlike Khadijah who was looked like the undead with lifeless eyes and swollen face most of the time.

People thought it to be weird and unrealistic when they say they feel if one of them was in danger, like a telepathy they knew when the other was hurt.

Like any other time Sadiya had an unsettling feeling about her sister's wellbeing since when she'd told her the truth about her marriage, she'd ask permission from her husband to go and check up on her sister but what she saw that time left her heartbroken to say the least.

I decided for it to be a short chapter, but if you're a long chapter kind of person pls comment do I can know, then maybe we'll decide together because we're all in this together koh, to yauwa.

See ya when I see you......which will be very soon Insha Allah, I actually want to finish this book so yeah.

Pls pls pls and pls comment and vote🙏🙏🙏🙏

Adieu

Amyrah