Chapter 48: How To Hide A Body

“Aunty dee, I want pancakes.” Junior positively beamed at his aunt, it was always fun having her over because it meant anything they wanted to eat.

“Okay, since it’s the weekend I’ll make pancakes for brunch, you should take your fruits and custard now.” She negotiated, they talked between themselves and even proceeded to shake on it before nodding at her.

“Mummy is coming back today, who’ll help me bake for her and Basra?” Hanan was the first to jump. As much as they loved having her over, they missed their parents because Sadiya only came back to rest before going back to the hospital and Abdulrahman had a lot on his plate, juggling between work, the hospital and home, it was a relief for all of them.

“Is Basra alright now?” Khadijah ruffled Aifa’s hair and smiled.

“Yes, you should keep praying for her alright, may Allah bless you all.” They chorused ameen and set to eat their breakfast while Khadijah got started on the pancakes.

Waleedah’s dinner was scheduled for 9pm and she had to go to the shop to make sure all the dresses were the right fit, though she’d tried all on, she wanted to make sure, the wedding fatiha was yesterday, she went while Kamla watched the children, though Sadiya had wanted to take them over to Baraka’s, she didn't mind not attending all the events and neither did the bride so it wasn’t a problem, besides Waleedah had told her to rest.

She was frying the pancakes when she heard voices, Sadiya’s maid, Karima continued while she went to check on them. The sight she saw warmed her heart, the children were wrapped up in their mother’s arms asking how Basra was. She was doing much better though she looked weak and was cocooned in her father’s arms.

Khadijah greeted the couple who tried thanking her but she stopped them with, weren’t they her kids too.

She served the pancakes with apple maple syrup and strawberries, Basra who loved strawberries ate a bit and even sat and watched her favorite cartoon with her siblings.

“I’ll be back tonight so you can rest and take care of yourself.” She hugged her sister and kissed the children before leaving.

She went home first before taking a bath and a nap, she got everything ready for the dinner and set for the Alieros’.

Kamla had thankfully found her phone in the kitchen in one of the cupboards, she kept it there when she was making breakfast and had forgotten to remove it from do not disturb. She saw several missed calls and messages when she picked it up, it rang again almost immediately.

“Here I was starting to think you blocked me?” Fahad teased the second she picked.

“No, I’m sorry, God, I left the phone in a cupboard.” She knew she sounded ridiculous but what could she say really.

“Cupboard? How?” he said through laughter.

“I honestly don’t remember, and it was in DND, Kamla was looking for something and found it.”

“Is this the Khadijah and devices tale?” this time she laughed.

“I see Huda is up and moving.”

“Yes she is, her diet has been changed again and she is not very happy about it, she is trying to convince ammie to let her stay longer and I don’t have the heart to tell her she’s going back to school.” He didn’t sound very sorry though.

She’d seen the bubbly teenager up and about very excitedly, her happy mood was contagious, it was almost impossible to not laugh in her presence. She hadn’t seen Fahad though, so it was the first time they were talking since the night she had an almost panic attack.