Chapter 47: Grey Morning

Khadijah finished the last touches of the dress she was making for a bride then she e-mailed them to the graphic designer before she called Victoria and told her everything was set.

She’d woken up late but it hadn’t bother her that much since she wasn’t praying, she’d dressed up for work after making breakfast for everyone which included Kamla and both her parents, the former who’d woken up when she was frying the chips and helped, she drank her black coffee ignoring the weird look Kamla was giving her.

“Why don’t you eat solid food?” she asked when she couldn’t hold it in anymore, Khadijah who returned after taking baba’s breakfast to him replied with her stereotypical reply “I’m not hungry.”

“Why will you be taking that bitter thing? It’s not good for your health you know.” Kamla wasn’t having it that day, she had to know why her cousin liked black coffee, she couldn’t handle coffee with milk and too much sugar, the concept of taking it alone scared her if she was honest.

“So is taking too much sugar.” She gulped the remainder then rinsed her cup and kept it in the drying rack, she picked her car keys and bid Kamla and her parents goodbye before leaving for work.

She hadn’t been going regularly mostly working from home since after Ramadan and eid, it passed by in a blur she couldn’t really tell what happened between that time but she knew she was very busy, she barely had time for herself and sometimes forgetting to eat, Layla bless her soul forced her to rest on weekends and her presence created a distraction and it helped in keeping her sane. If you knew her, you know her overworking wasn’t a good thing.

Victoria had been managing the shop and orders, she only designed then sends them over to the graphic designer, it would be sent back to the shop and then they’ll have it started after she picked out the material.

“Welcome back miss Khadijah.” She smiled and pulled the petite woman into a hug.

“Thank you Vicky, it feels good to be back, how have you been?” she asked walking to her office that was renovated, Layla and Kamla picked the design because according to them, it was too manly, so with the help of Kamla they redesigned in much happier colors, she was just thankful it wasn’t pink like Arwah suggested, no offence to pink lovers but it wasn’t her thing and it will never be.

The bare dark grey walls were now white, one wall was covered with a white and gold wallpaper, her plain desk was changed to a more modernized one that the top was glass, the only thing from before was her chair but now it was beige, she wasn’t sure if it was the old one because only the color was different, the visitors chairs were also changed to off white.

“Hope you like it?” one of the interns kept a box of glazed and filled doughnuts on her table.

“Thank you Safiyya, I really appreciate.” With a giddy smile, she turned and left.

Victoria kept her busy most of the morning with what has been happening in the shop, she had a meeting with the accountant who filled her in on the proposed expansion, the financial status of the shop was getting to the targeted amount.

She stood up and thanked Femi, the head accountant who smiled and left with the files he was carrying.

“Miss Layla sent lunch over, she said she couldn’t make it.” Khadijah thanked her with a nod, they talked earlier that morning and she explained, someone had to stay at home and check on Huda when the adults were about wedding planning, she volunteered since most the family still hadn’t arrived from their various places of residence.

Victoria turned to leave when Khadijah stopped her, “Have you seen my phone?” she shook her head.

“You didn’t come with it.” She nodded thinking maybe she left it at home.