49| thought they were kisses, apparently not

Song title from:
The Element of Surprise

LOS ANGELES
28th of June, 2021

"It's been a whole month, Miles! A month! I know she's your best mate, and she's well already mine as well. But it's not even us helping her anymore... We're just enabling her at this point!"

Sarah whisper yelled at the mentioned man, stealing a few glances towards the kitchen to check if Talaska had heard. Apparently not, because she continued throwing spices and recipes onto a sizzling pan, squealing and jumping back whenever the oil popped.

"I know. I know, baby. But I can't seem to crack 'er! I've been dropping hints since Friday, I swear it. 'Hey Tal, drove by this really nice condo near here, it's for sale. We should check it out together tomorrow.' Then she goes, 'oh yeah? ' and I go 'yeah' and then I go into full fuckin' details on how many bathrooms and bedrooms and floor to ceiling windows that place has and she-"

When the sound of a large bang erupts, Sarah and Miles cock their heads out from behind the wall and take a peek at the possible source.

The kitchen.

Finding Talaska guiltily staring down at the cutting board on the floor, wet tomatoes sprawled around it. Sarah sighed and knew she would have to be the one to clean it. Talaska couldn't even tie her own shoes anymore, let alone bend down and pick something up from the floor.

When Talaska peered up and met their eyes, the annoyance on Miles and Sarah's faces disappeared. Replaced with fake supporting smiles along with thumbs up gestures and nodding heads.

"Where was I?"
Miles asked once out of Tal's view point.

"The condo."

"Oh yes. Then she goes 'sounds nice, think I'll take a look'. But every bloody day, she's cooped up in the kitchen! Like some, some sort of enslaved 1950's housewife!"

Miles ran a hand across the top of his head in exasperation.

"She used one of my new paintbrushes to glaze the donuts she baked yesterday. Donuts! I needed that brush!"

"Last week when she came along to the studio, she couldn't stop passing wind, babe. I get it, she's pregnant. Her bod be going through odd shifts and whatnot. So I blame the baby for that one, but still! All my new songs'll have the sound of her tooting, or just the memory of it-"

"My painting was given late to the client, all because of that one paintbrush being being covered in glazed sugar."

"Dear Lord."

Miles sighed as he linked his and Sarah's forehead together, both leaning into each other.

"We can do it baby. Just till Al comes... Then we can go back to shagging on the kitchen table."

Sarah laughs and playfully pushes Miles away, but not before he was able to sneak a kiss on her cheek.

"Bugger off."

She said as she came out behind the wall and into Talaska's view, relieved that she had let out some of her steam.

Miles smiled with much appreciation as he watched her walk away, knowing that she was well on her way to being on her knees (not in the way Miles liked her to be) to clean the mess she wasn't responsible for.

As Sarah said before, a full month has passed since Alex's departure.

Much has changed since- such as the sudden insatiable craving of odd foods and snacks Talaska has acquired, compared to her last state in which she wasn't able to taste or keep anything down. Un-spokenly as well, Talaska was suddenly Miles and Sarah's new roommate since the day she had left her house. For the first week while Alex was still around, when asked, Talaska would say that soon she'll be back home.