31| the element of fucking surprise

Song title from:
The element of surprise

NEW YORK
22nd December, 2015
00:10 a.m.

Talaska's POV

I awaken at the sound of a slamming door accompanied by the sounds of fast-paced shoes against the floor. Sitting up, I realize I was previously lying on Alex' chest. He too was awaken now.

"Okay, I've thought it through."

Alex and I looked at each other, not really knowing what to say.

Miles was pacing across the dining room located behind the couch Al and I were on. His heels tapped harshly against the wooden flooring, his fingers on his lips- I imagine this is what he looked like on his walk in the streets, thinking like a madman.

"Oh, before I start..." Miles approaches me, leans down slightly and pulls my face towards him, planting a kiss on my lips. "Happy birthday, Tal. Twenty- fookin'-three. And don't look a day over 19, when I first knew you."

To the people who didn't know Miles, they would probably think Miles was drunk by how he talked and how peculiar he went about with his behavior, but really it was just him being him. I've tried many attempts to find out whether his mother had dropped him a dangerously amount of times when he was a baby but it still remains a mystery why Miles acts the way he does.

I smile up at him, clutching the couches big pillow against me. Alex only stared at us, unsure of what to say or do, but very sure anything he did do or say would have no significance. He stayed silent. Miles noticed this and he directed his gaze at Alex.

"What? You don't want Talaska again now that I've kissed her? You seem to love sloppy seconds, right mate?"

A wave of hurt pass through Al's face.

Ah, Miles. Knowing him, he probably had scripted this whole scenario in his head. He always did so whenever he knew he was going to have some sort of confrontation or important talk with someone, creating all sorts of scenarios in his head so when it actually happened, he would have a list of responses to choose from. We were the same same that way. Which wasn't completely healthy since much of the words that come out of our mouths seem to be very filtered rather than saying what we actually feel in the moment.

"Miles. I,,, you're usually more, oh what's the word? Relaxed? When you come back from your walks." I intervene between Miles glaring at Al, and Al trying his best to avoid those glares. Miles turns to me and smiles sweetly.

"Oh, I was. Up to the moment I came in this apartment and saw Alex' face, I was FUCKING ZEN. But I'm pissed off again." He replied, his hands on his hips. Well at least he actually referred Alex by his name and not as a third person.

"First you took Tal from Matt," He pointed his chin to my direction. " And now Taylor from me. Does the bro-code not apply to you or summet!?" Miles yelled in frustration.

"It's not like that, mate... You know it's not." Al defends himself.

"No, I, I don't know. I don't, I don't fucking get it, Al. Fucks sake, I don't get,,, I don't get how you did it."
Miles' anger seemed to be wearing off, his voice and expression soothed down. I knew not so deep down he was heartbroken. Not by the fact that Taylor had kissed his best mate, but that his best mate reciprocated. Al knew this too of course- they had been friends way longer than I had been with the both of them, hence they were both very emotionally aware and connected with the other.

"I'm sorry, Miles. It, just happened? I promise you mate, the moment I realized, I, I, I pulled away." Miles lowered his gaze before turning to Al again.