16. In Pursuit of a chance

There was a rush in Payal's office this morning. New boss is going to take over the company today. Half of the employees are praying that their new boss should not be a strict school master who will grill them for their every mistake. Some employees are fretting over their pending work and what impression it will leave. Some are confident that they will impress their new boss in the first attempt.

But Payal doesn't belong to any of the group above said. She is having a instinct that something is going to happen. Above all, she have a presentation to give today which she will be presenting it to her new boss. 

Payal was sitting in her cubicle when Rajeev knocked her out of her thoughts.

“Aren't you coming?”

“Do I have to?” Payal asked tired. He nodded. 

They came out where everyone was waiting to welcome their new boss. 

“Late on very first day…. what a impression!” Payal muttered, rolling her eyes enough for Rajeev to hear. He cleared his throat to stop himself from chuckling.
______________

“Late on very first day! What a impression?!” Akash cursed himself as he looked at himself in the rear view mirror.

‘Don't worry Akash! Your impression is already bad….’ His heart said as a know it all.

“What the hell!!” He muttered irritated by himself and came out of the car.

He received a warm welcome from the staff and the manager introduced him as he entered the office.

Payal's eyes widened looking at him.

‘He bought this company on purpose?’ She thought bewildered.

She glared at him when he gave her a smile.

After all the introductions, he headed towards his cabin. She went to her cubicle and sat their burying her face in her hands.

“I am not ready to face him. Not at all!! I myself don't know how to behave! Be angry on him or cry on what he said. Ahh!!” She spoke to herself.

She has become so confused from that day that she herself don't know what to do and say to him. 

“Payal… presentation?” Her colleague reminded.

She nodded sighing. Collecting her files, papers and pendrive she walked towards the meeting room. 

‘His presence should not affect me! I am here to work.’

As she entered the meeting room, she saw him sitting there with other staff. 

She became nervous under his gaze. Though he was not looking at her intensely. She will be showing him her professional skills for the first time.

“Please proceed Ms. Gupta…” 

‘Damn! She hasn't told anyone that she is married?!’ Akash swore.

Gulping her nervousness, she started.
________________

Next morning, Khushi came out of the college campus, smiling with a giggling Latika by her side. Her smile faded as she saw the person in front of her, leaning back on his car, checking his mobile.

There was sudden mix-up of emotions. At once her heart skipped a beat as she took in his black tuxedo clad figure but anger and irritation overpowered it.

‘I knew it last night! Something big was gonna happen! See, here he is…’ She thought.

“Khushi….”