Chapter 9

"Oh my god, we're gonna die!" I cried out loud.

"Weren't you the one who tried to drown himself just recently?" Andrew asked while trying to maintain the balance on the road.

The car was going so fast I felt like it would start flying in a second. Thankfully there were no other vehicles near us and the road was very much straight so it wasn't that hard to drive.

Actually I wouldn't know about that since I don't even have a driving license. Why? I guess it's because I didn't feel like getting it would have been very useful. My dad even tried to teach me the basics once but he got so frustrated every time I did something wrong so I preferred not to bother him anymore. I really didn't like the way he was yelling at me. Later I found out that the only reason he was trying to instruct me was because he was tired of taking me to school every day. After I figured that out I asked my friend Lucy to give me a ride and she's been taking me to school ever since.

It's not like I don't want to know how to drive, it's just that I don't want to bother anyone. I already feel like a burden and if I ask Lucy to teach me she would definitely help me. She could never say no because of our friendship even if she wasn't comfortable with it and I just don't want to put her in that kind of situation. She probably has many other more important things to do besides practicing with me anyways.

"Yeah, but this is different." I replied.

"How so?" Andrew asked.

"Well I was not in a great place back then and..." I tried not to reminisce of that day because it brought back some irksome memories so I decided it would be better if I changed the subject. "You should concentrate on the road... Okay this isn't so bad, right? How much more fuel is left in the car? I think we should just drive until it's gone and then the car will stop itself, right?"

"It's almost full." Andrew responded shortly. "I filled it a few hours ago."

"Damn it!" I sighed. Damn this rich people, why do you have to fill your fuel tank? Why can't you just leave it almost empty? "What are we going to do? If we crash, we might as well be dead."

"Just calm down, I'll figure something out, alright?" Andrew said with frustration.

"You're right. We can't panic now! We should just relax, everything will be alright. We'll survive without a scratch." I talked out loud to encourage and convince myself but in reality it came out more similar to a prayer.

"In case you haven't noticed, you're the one who's panicking so could you keep it down a little bit. It's already hard enough to drive as it is. I don't need you crying in my face. That'll make me even more nervous." Andrew was practically exploding on the inside but he was trying his best to keep a straight face.

I'm not sure why he's bothering to go through all that trouble just to make himself look strong and macho like but it's nice to see that at least one of us isn't a complete mess when it comes to stressful situations like this.

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I'll be quiet." I said as calmly as I could. Then I started thinking about what got us in such a huge trouble in the first place and remembered something. "Wait, when I saw Kristen with that guy he was holding that bag and she said that if you wanted to truly hurt someone you had to take away their most precious thing or something along those lines. I think by that she meant you. They're trying to hurt your father through you and that's why brakes won't work. I think they tempered with your car."

"It took you long enough to come to that conclusion, Einstein." Andrew answered without any unnecessary movements on his face, the sarcasm was only detectable through his tone. "You hadn't realized that until now?"