Chapter 14

"What do you mean he's off the hook? He tried to rape my friend and you're telling me that I'm the one who should be in jail? I was only protecting Felicity." I complained while standing inside a little room that's called a cell where I was thrown into after the incident that accrued at school. I mean it's not like I was expecting a medal or anything but putting me here was definitely a shocker for me.

"I know, Jesse. But it's not as easy as you think. He's chief's son and I can't do anything..." My uncle answered.

"Uncle Jerry, he deserves to be in jail not me." I whined. "Why am I being held here?"

"Well, you almost killed him. That sounds like a good enough reason to me." Jerry replied. "I think a few days in jail is a fair punishment."

"What? Are you serious? I didn't do anything wrong. He's the one who should be here instead of me." I got annoyed. Having connections in this cursed town was almost as essential as water. If your family didn't have that kind of power your life wouldn't be easy. Unlike my parents who didn't give a fuck about me it looked like that the almost rapist's parents did care about him and that's why he was free and I was here in this small uncomfortable room which smelled like a public restroom. "Who's side are you on anyways?"

"I'm on your side, of course, but you know that punishing chief's son won't be easy. My hands are tied. If I go against him, I will lose my job." Uncle Jerry responded with a sigh. "It's just how life works. One who has the power decides what is right and what is not. You'll learn that lesson once you get older."

"I don't need your wisdom right now, Uncle Jerry. What I need from you is to get me the hell out of here."

"I'm really sorry, Jesse. You know I don't want you to be in this cell but I can't do anything. It's chief's orders. I can't even..." Uncle Jerry was cut off from the noise outside.

"Where is he? I need to see him right now." A familiar female voice demanded which I was soon able to recognize belonged to my friend Lucy.

"I'm sorry, young lady, but visiting hours are over. You can come back tomorrow." The receptionist who was an elder woman answered her question. She didn't exactly sound thrilled, I could hear the annoyance in her tone even from my cell. I also noticed she wasn't exactly the most energetic person when I arrived at the police station earlier today.

"It's okay, they're with me. Right this way, girls." Uncle Jerry called for them.

Soon I saw Felicity whose eyes were all puffy which indicated that she was probably crying all day and Lucy who looked furious as she offered Jerry a deadly glare to express her disappointment that he hadn't done everything in his power to get me out of this place. My uncle was likely feeling unwelcome and in a moment he went to the other room to give us some privacy.

"Are you okay?" Lucy asked me once she got closer.

"I'm fine but how are you?" I quickly diverted my face towards Felicity who was so embarrassed that she couldn't even look me in the eyes.

"I'm okay." She signed with her hands as tears slowly fell down to her cheeks. "I never got a chance to say thank you. I really appreciate what you did for me."

"There's no need to thank me. I was only protecting my friend and I'd do the same thing even if I could go back." I said. "If anything I actually feel like I haven't done enough."

Suddenly I felt pain in my stomach, probably because of all the kicking I received from that jerk. Soon I started coughing and my head ache increased so much that I almost fell back but I thankfully managed to remain my standing posture as I gripped onto the steel door for extra support. It was unclear and confusing to me why all these symptoms appeared now and the fact that they all struck me at the same time made the discomfort even more severe.