Chapter 10

"What is this place?" Andrew asked when we entered the cabin in the middle of nowhere.

"It belongs to my dad. I think his father built it a long time ago. We used it during a camping trip once or twice so it's safe to stay here. Although it might be a little dusty. We should get some sleep and in the morning we can go back to the road and try to stop a car or something. Maybe we can even get signal on my phone and I can call my friends and they'll pick us up." I answered after I closed the door.

It was a pretty cold night even though the moon was shining down on us but that didn't help the temperature at all. My eyes sought for something that could potentially keep us warm. I soon found a match so I decided it would be a good idea if we started a fire in the fireplace but there was no wood inside so I opened the door to go into the forest and search for some.

"Where do you think you're going?" Andrew questioned me with a strict tone in his voice as if he was demanding an explanation.

"I'll go look for some wood so we can build a fire and warm up a little." I replied and continued walking but he quickly got up from where he was sitting and stood in front of me, blocking my way with a stance that made it seem like he was defending in a football game.

"It's way too dangerous out there. I'll do that instead of you." He said and remained in his previous position.

"Well, I was also a little bit hungry so I wanted to look for some fruit or something. Besides I can take care of myself very well, I don't need your protection. I've been doing that my entire life so I don't want anyone's help." I answered before attempting to slip through him however once that failed I changed my approach to remove him from my way but he didn't even budge.

"I said I would do it!" He almost shouted to become more intimidating. "I'll find something to eat as well. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not doing this because of you, I just know that you'll get yourself in some sort of trouble and you might even die. I don't want to be the one who'll have to explain to your parents why you're not alive anymore. So if you think about it hard enough you'll realize that I'm doing this for my own sake."

It caught me by surprise when he felt the need to justify his actions to me. I realized that I was somehow getting under his skin, which although wasn't my intention, it was still not a completely joyless experience for me.

"Whatever... I'm drowsy anyways. Just don't go too far and be careful." I responded and went back to the cabin.

A few minutes later he came back with some dry sticks and a few berries in his hands. I'd never eaten this kind of berries before so I was excited to try them but I was also frightened that there was a probability they might have been poisonous. Andrew saw how I was suspiciously glancing at them and he rolled his eyes.

"They're totally edible. I already had some." He assured me.

"Are you completely sure?" I asked with a worried look on my face.

"Yes, I'm sure. I know how to differentiate them from the poisonous ones."

"If you insist." I replied and grabbed the berries from his hand.

I was so hungry that at that point I could have eaten poisonous food too as long as I wouldn't have to starve. It wasn't much but it was enough to sustain us for a short period of time and if we considered our current situation those berries were at least better than nothing at all.

While I was busy having dinner Andrew managed to start a fire and we warmed up a little. As he was doing that so effortlessly as thought crossed my mind. I wondered if it was possible that he might have been a boy scout in his childhood. Thinking of small Andrew running around in the forest brought an inexplicable smile to my face for some reason.