17 - Autumn

I open my eyes, and after blinking a few times, I find myself in a new cell, as this one has actual bars of a cage instead of a door, and anytime I touch one of the bars, I get shocked. So I usually avoid it at all costs.

I stand up, trying to reorient myself. But that is better luck next time, I'm sure. I shake my head and sit down on the bed they supplied me with. I hum as I sit there, but eventually, my stomach starts to growl, and then the insatiable thirst comes.

The dryness in my mouth is enough to drive me insane. I feel kinda dizzy from my lack of blood consumption. I sway on my feet, and then I hit the ground hard. My last thoughts before sleep takes me, is that I might never see Dylan or Arlo or Emma again.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

When I come to again, I am in a room with a bed, and there is a warm, but scratchy white blanket wrapped around my legs. I open my eyes and look around. I'm in a room with a guy I've never seen before.

When he sees that I'm awake, he stands up. "Can we get a doctor in here? Now!?"

I watch the man as he walks over to the other side of the room, and looks into the hall from the window in the door. He doesn't say anything to me. Weird.

"Who are you?" I ask him.

"Anyone listening?" he asks.

"I am," I say.

He turns around and glares at me. "Yes, I know you're awake, Autumn."

I blink. "How do you know my name?"

The door opens and the nurses and doctors come in. I watch as they surround us, and he steps back, not looking at them, but his gaze is locked on me. I stare back at the man, looking at his green eyes and blond hair cut like spikes.

"How are you feeling, Miss Autumn?" asks one of the nurses.

"Where's Dylan?"

"Dylan?" The nurse looks at the other people around her. She then looks back at me. "Who is Dylan?"

I look at her, then the man in the corner of the room staring at me. "Doesn't he know?" I ask, nodding towards the man.

She looks at him. "Ah, you. What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for her," he says.

"But I don't know who you are," I snap.

"My name is Zeke, okay?" he asks. "Are you happy now?"

"Cool, still don't know who you are," I say.

He rolls his eyes. The nurses finish checking on me, and then they put me in a wheelchair and give me to Zeke. Apparently, walking is a bad idea for now. So I have to rely on this man I've never even met before.

Zeke looks at me sideways as he drives down the road, after placing the wheelchair in the backseat of the car. As we drive, I do my best to ignore this strange man, as I am trying to keep it together. But it is very, very hard.

"You don't remember me?"

"No."

He sighs. "I can't blame you for not knowing who I am. Because when we knew each other, you knew me as your imaginary friend."