22 - Dylan

Dylan and Autumn follow the mysterious woman through the woods. Dylan is trying to figure out what exactly is happening and who this woman is. He just wants to know why he's been interrupted when he was with Autumn. He hates that this person is being so mysterious.

Why can't she just be open with them, instead of secretive? And who is this woman? Dylan looks at Autumn, and sees her face is mirroring his own.  He knows that he will have to be focused on what is going on right now, but it doesn't help that Autumn is here, and he was just kissing her.

He loved that. That was the best kiss he'd had, and he feels warmth bloom in his chest in response to remembering the kiss. But he doesn't say anything as they enter a small clearing and come face to face with a beautiful woman, who has dark brown skin, black hair, and bright green eyes. It is obvious what she is.

"Are you an angel?" Dylan asks.

"Yes," she says. "I am Naomi. And I am an old friend of your new ally, Zeke."

"You know Zeke?" Autumn asks.

"Yes, I do. Or, rather, I did."

"You did? What do you mean by that?" Dylan asks.

"Just that. I thought I was going to be enough to stop the madness in him, but I was a fool. I tried and tried, and he threw it back in my face. I tried to get him to calm down, I tried to get him to come back to us .... but he wouldn't. Zeke is a killer, and I know that you might be able to forgive that, but do not trust him. He killed his own brother. Don't trust a male who can do that."

"He didn't mean to," Dylan says.

I know. And that makes it worse," she says. "Please, don't let him get whatever it is he wants from you. Trust me when I say he did not help you out of the goodness of his heart."

Dylan looks at Autumn. She looks so scared.

"Naomi. Why ... how did you know where we are?" Autumn asks.

"I am an angel" she says. "That is how."

"That doesn't answer my question," she says.

Naomi looks at Dylan. "Do you believe me?"

Autumn looks up at him.

"I ... don't know," he says. "I mean, how do we know you're telling the truth?"

"Why would I come the whole way here to lie?" she asks.

"True," says Autumn. "But how did you find us? And give me a way, not just saying that it is because of what you are."

Naomi sighs. "I was told to come here, by your father, Autumn."

"What? He's dead!"

Dylan flinches at the pain in Autumn's voice at the mention of her father. He's never asked her how she came to be in those flaming woods, and for the first time since then, he wishes he'd asked her.

"Yes, he is dead, but like I said, I am an angel. And now, so is he. He sent me to tell you about Zeke. He's seen the Soul-Field of the memory of mine, the one where you see Zeke cutting down his brother."

"A Soul-Field? What is that?" Dylan asks.

"A safe place where you can see the memories of someone else's past. Experiencing it like it is your own  memory." Naomi's attention flickers behind them. "Go back to the house, you two. But remember my warning. Remember that you cannot trust him."

"Come on," Dylan says softly. "Lets go back."

Autumn nods, thanks Naomi, and the two of them set off back into the woods.